Painting On Luster Dust

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 1:16am by Spectra

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 5

I read on here that I can mix luster dust (or pearl dust) with a little vodka and paint it on. So, I did but it looks a little streaky. Can I put on another coat? Maybe I should use a bigger brush? It looks alright, so I'm afraid to mess with it and ruin my piece. TIA. icon_lol.gif

4 replies
Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 5

Yep, you can definitely do more coats. I add 2 or 3 coats usually. Just make sure your first coat is completely dry first.

Are you adding vodka to the luster dust with a dropper? You only need the tiniest amount. If you add too much vodka, it will be thinner and streakier. If the 'paint' is a bit thicker, you only need one coat.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much. I think I had it way too 'runny'. THANKS!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

If you brush over the same spot while it is still wet it will make it streaky too. To me it is best to do light coats, letting it dry then coming back and doing another one, until it is the color you want.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 5

I was reading on the back of the Wilton's Pearl Dust to use Lemon Extract? I was wondering if you guys found the vodka to be better or the Lemon Extract? I want to try painting Pearl Dust onto some RI flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%