Can I Use A Marble Tile As A Cake Board?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm by cvigil

Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 7

I just bought a few marble tiles from Lowe's and when I was unloading them from the car one broke in half!!! Now I'm scared to put a cake on it (single tier). Was that one just defective? Anyone else use these? Thanks.

6 replies
cvigil Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 7

I think that would be so pretty. I would affix it to a piece of wood the same size just to be safe and to give it a little more strength.
Good luck

metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

Agreed, add some spare wood or a smaller cake drum underneath. It will also give you some room to get your finger tips underneath when you go to lift it and the cake.

tguegirl Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 7

I used a tile and it was fine! Especially for a one-tier, it should be fine.

momma28 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 7

I use a marble tile for single layer cakes all the time and love the way they look. Plus I smooth the cake right on there and the smooth surface is a dream for my bench scraper to make a glass like finish. I have not had any issues with them breaking but Have not used it for a stacked cake thus far. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has used them for a stacked cake.

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

affix it to a piece of plywood and run a ribbon around the edge!

cvigil Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

This is such a great idea! I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago. We have a Habitat For Humanity Restore where people donate extra tiles and things like that. I always see marble tiles for under a buck. Again, thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%