Wet On Wet Technique

Baking By Redsoxbaker Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 10:46am by Redsoxbaker

Redsoxbaker Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm new at cookie decorating but could someone explain to me the wet on wet technique. How do you do it? I've tried to search but I can't really find anything that explains it. But I could not be searching the right way! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 7

basically it just means that you flood your cookie with icing and while the icing is still wet, you go ahead and add details. It makes the details sink into the wet icing and it all becomes one even surface vs. if you wait for the icing to set and then add details they will be raised.

here is an example of what I mean

The dots and squiggly lines were done wet on wet

tatorchip Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 7

KHalstead, those are cute cookies

drakegore Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 7

i use glace instead of RI, but this probably applies to both. here are a few things i have learned the hard way, lol.

- make sure your flood and design icing are the same consistencey.
- do not overfill your cookies when you flood because once you start adding more icing design, you could have a "breach"
- once i flood my cookie, i wait about a minute before adding the dots or whatever. i like nice clear dot definition and letting the base icing sit for a minute gives my design a more of a stable base to rest in and not lose their shape. don't go too long or your design will not sink in to the flood.
- black is almost always a problem no matter what you do.
- red is challenging and doing dots with it can lead to bleeding. letting your base sit up a minute helps.
- and most importantly for me is to have my flood/design icing be a little bit thicker than my normal flood. normally use 2lbs PS and 3/4 cup each water and corn syrup, but when i know i am doing wet on wet i cut back maybe 2-3 tbs of each fluid each.
- use americolor white, a few drops, in the icing. it just makes it work better for some reason.

this is what has worked for me icon_smile.gif.

TracyLH Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

Bingo on everything Drakegore just said! thumbs_up.gif I always make sure to have the RI the same consistency and not too thin on each. Everything else she said is spot on. The only think I could add is that if you are adding dots, you might find a little bit standing up where you pulled the tip away. Just tap that little dot lightly with a toothpick and it will settle right in. I just did wet-on-wet with light and dark green and it was a breeze. Once you master it, it is very easy. It can just be intimidating at first. Well, at least it was for me. icon_lol.gif

Redsoxbaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:46am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the useful information! I thought that's what it was but I wasn't completely sure. All the pictures are beautiful. I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable now that you all explained it better to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%