70Th B-Day Cake

Decorating By SUUMEME Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 4:03am by SUUMEME

SUUMEME Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I could really use some help with this one fellow cakers. I have a request for a "reining Horse" themed cake. This is a specific looking horse, see attached photo. The woman wants a "shaped" cake. Not a 3D sculpted cake (thankgoodness cause my name isn't Duff) it needs to feed 40-45. I am having trouble getting any information out of her (other than the picture she sent me- the attached one here) and I am at the end of my rope. She just keeps asking for a shaped cake. I said I don't have a shaped pan of a reining horse but that I could bake it in a round pan and then shape it around the picture she gave me. She thought that idea was "interesting". I am at a loss. So I told her how I pictured it, white butter cream with dark chocolate horse and rider in the middle, dark brown rope boarder. No reply. She hasn't mentioned colors or wording at my request either. What would you sugest? And how big of a round pan woudl I need to use to get the right amount of servings if I am going to be shaving some of it down to shape the cake??? I want to cry! It;s been a long week and I need a nap.

4 replies
SUUMEME Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 5

reining horse

it says "Extension Document is not allowed" so basically the photo was a dark brown sillohett (SP?) of a cowboy on the back of a horse that looks like it is pulling something- kind alike its bowing.

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 5

was it like this???

The easiest way to do a 2-D cake like that is just like you're thinking. Bake a round/rectangle cake and cut away the excess.

The best way IMO is to either print out the photo large enough to equal the servings you need...you can estimate a 2"x2"x2" serving...so if you need to feed 20...then you want it to be at least 10" x 8" which is just about a whole sheet of paper. You can use the preferences on your printer to choose "poster print" and it will print the picture in a series of 4,6,0r 8 photos depending on how large you need it and then you can piece the pages together, cut it out and use it as a template to cut your cake out.

Hope that makes sense?

shapeacake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

Hi Suumeme. Sorry that your customer is being difficult. Here's a how-to on one way to essentially make your own cake pan in whatever shape you want. http://www.custom-cake.com/cake-shaping-strips.html . (The top of the page shows you how to make the cake-shaping strips, the middle how to use them, and the bottom pictures of "shaped cakes".) You can bend the strips around a shape, visualize where you would cut it, and then see if you need to adjust the size. Good luck!

SUUMEME Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your suggestions Ladies! I had my hubby blow up the photo for me using4 sheets of paper and it looks like it will work.

The I am going to take a look at the cake pan shaping tutorial too, that sound very handy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%