First Paid Cake!

Decorating By Caralovescake Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:40am by rosiecast

Caralovescake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 12

I am so excited, I just got my first paid cake order! I always thought it would just be a hobby but someone has asked me to make a baby shower cake! I guess I am doing something right! And I could certaily use the extra $$$! LOL! I am nervous yet excited. I hope it goes well and maybe others will ask me to do some also. Thanks for listening I am just so happy!

11 replies
chrissypie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 12

Wow, good luck!

mslesuer Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 12

Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

impala Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 12

Congrats and Have lots of fun making the cake.... I know I get my self all stressed out because I want the cake or cookies perfect..... icon_biggrin.gif

chrissypie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 12

Cara

I just noticed that you are in New York, I live in NY too. Where in NY are you? Do you have a bakery or do you sell cakes from your home. I have been wanting to sell cakes professionally but was told it is not legal in NY. I know people who do sell cakes "illegally. They even have Facebook pages! I don't think I would have the guts to do that. Just curious. Thanks!

rosiecast Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 12

Hey Chrissiepie- where in NY are you? I'm in Hastings (right next to Yonkers) but I work in Manhattan. And yes it is illegal in the city, but in many other counties is not. depends where you live.

chrissypie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 12

Oh, it is legal in the city?? I am in suffolk county. I was told no.

rosiecast Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 12

Hi Chrissypie, not in the city. But in other counties it is. BTW: You have gorgeous cakes on your gallery.

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 12

GL! I just did my first paid order and the best advice I have is communication!!! I have done many free cakes and they provide no pics, I just took the ideas and ran with them, and they were surprised and happy with what they recv'd...this order I just did they gave me specifics and I drew sketches...turns out my sketches were taken too literally and the icing wasn't tall enough..Or looked high in the pic but it was an aerial shot!

Anyway communication is KEY when they are paying $$!

Caralovescake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 12

well Chrissypie I live in Long Island too! LOL!, my Wilton instructor at A.C. Moore sells LOADS of cakes, she does a great business from her home! She told me I can sell cakes if I want. She said it is no big deal, so you can probably do it too! Where on Long Island?

chrissypie Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much for the compliment rosiecast, you made my day! That is so nice of you to say!

rosiecast Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:40am
post #12 of 12

Cara- yes it might not be a big deal until you get the $5,000 fine. I don't want to be a sourpuss, but I think your instructor is worng in telling her students to do something illegal. I won't do it because of the fine and also because of the moral issue. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Well, not that I'm an expert or anything. LOL

Chrissypie- You're very welcome. Seriously your cakes look great. I wish I could work as clean as you. Good luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%