Making Buttercream In Bulk

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm by zdebssweetsj

erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

I hate making buttercream! (the mess, the clean-up) I decorate for friends and family for the most part so I don't do a huge volume of cakes but I was wondering if I could make up several large batches of buttercream and store it for a period of time. I know this is what large bakeries have to do, but they go through it much faster than I ever could.

How long could I safely store buttercream in a food-safe bucket? I normally store left-over icing in rubbermaid bowls on my countertop for up to a week without any problems and will refrigerate it if it's going to be longer. I have frozen bowls of icing before too.

I'd just like to save myself some headache and clean-up if I can. Does anyone know where to find the food-safe buckets? I have some satin ice buckets that I've saved and store left-over fondant in them. Can those be cleaned out and used?

4 replies
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

I buy my icing at Sam's and the bucket says "stays fresh at room temp. for up to 6 months"

As for the Satin Ice buckets.....those should be fine to use, but get yourself some clear plastic (food safe) liners (they're cheap online) and line the bucket, that way when you use some of the icing the air in the bucket won't cause a crust to form on the rest of the icing (that happens if I don't use up my icing quick enough)......generally I go through about 1 to 2 buckets (28 lbs. each) in a week so I don't have to worry about the plastic liner as much.

moranda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for asking this question, I have often wondered the same thing, I agree the worst part of decorating a cake is cleaning up after making the buttercream, I somehow end up with powered sugar EVERYWHERE.

The next time I make buttercream I will definitely be making extra and storing it.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 5

I think the difference in the premade and the made at home is preservitives. If you have freezer room and are not using it with in the month I'd put it in the freezer. Wilton says this decorator buttercream can be kept on the cabinet for two weeks. I'd personally put it in the fridge if it was going to be longer than two weeks before using it agian.

zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

How long could you keep butter cream made with real butter, or SMBC in the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%