How To Cut A Cake That Tall?

Decorating By whit6 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 12:51am by jjkarm

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 6

So i am making one of those adorable bun in the oven cakes you see on here this weekend for a baby shower I am going to. I am stacking 3 8 in square cakes to get the proper height so it actually looks like an oven. Since i am attending im sure they are going to ask me how you cut it and I am clueless! How the heck do you slice a cake that is over 6 inches tall?

If it was only going to be buttercream in the middle I would just sort of disassemble it and cut each layer. But I am putting raspberry as the filling and if i did that he bottom 2 layer would have all raspberry and no buttercream for the middle slices?

Sorry this is such a dumb question but id appreciate the help icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

I think I'd probably divide that into two stacked tiers for ease of serving. I would torte each layer so that you have six "layers" of cake and put three in each section. Treat it as a stacked cake with cake board, frosting, and dowels and then cover the entire thing for your oven. That way, you'll have the same filling and frosting for each "tier" and a piece of cake that will fit on a smaller party plate. Cut slightly larger pieces since they will be a little shorter. Make sense?

whit6 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else? I like to hear lots of opinions

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 6

Last year I made a wedding cake where each tier was made from 3- 2" layers. By the time the cake was filled and covered with fondant, each tier was 7" tall.
I also wondered how on earth I'd serve the cake without each piece toppling over. At B.B. & Beyond I found a metal "fish turner". It's about 8" tall and 4" deep. It worked like a dream, no problems serving the cake at all. HTH thumbs_up.gif

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12882424

whit6 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 6

jjkarm,

So you just served really tall slices?

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6

Yes, I served tall slices. The larger cake pieces looked very pretty on the plates. Cake that tall doesn't fit on a small plate though, so you'll either have to use the larger size plates or cut the slices in half.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%