Silver Ball Decorations

Decorating By officialamysue Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm by erinalicia

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 12

I remember these silver sugar balls that are for decorations on cakes/cupcakes/cookies etc around christmas time that my grandma would always get for me just because i wanted to eat it out of the bottle icon_smile.gif what are they called formally and where can i get them? post links if possible, thanks!

11 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 12

I've never bought them, but I know that they're called dragees. You can probably google that word and find a supplier.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 12

any cake decorating supply store should have dragees. They come in several different sizes as well. In groceries stores though, you may only be able to find them around the holidays.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 12

they are dragees, but if you cant find them in your area, it may be because they are illegal in some states. I know you can't get them in california.

here is a link to get you started... http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=IN0285-GLD&sid=Overture&TID=OV033080&utm_source=Yahooppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=B-ktch-Cake%20Dec&bhcd2=1268150822

here is another great place to buy them... http://www.nycake.com/

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 12

i have seen them in the super market in small quantities. they also come in other colours now. I have a massive box of them that were "acquired" for me.. connections you seee... hehehe

so if you cant find them in a local craft shop go and ask your bakery, (mine were acquired for me by a pastry chef.. who obviously works in a bakery) they usually get them in large quantities.. like i say.. i got me a MASSIVE amount.. so perhaps they will let you buy some from them. hth

officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 12

Why would they be illegal? I am not able to find them in any stores around here!

erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 12

I couldn't tell you why they would be illegal- kind of silly, but if you can't find them in any stores in your area, just check some of the online retailers. Country Kitchen (countrykitchensa.com), Jesters (fondant source.com), Global Sugar Art, etc., they all carry them.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 12

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=silver+cachous&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=wXmWS925IJHgswPW7KnCAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB0QsAQwAw

Here you go - pictures of what you are speaking about.

Over here we also call them CACHOUS -
I just typed SILVER CACHOUS into Google...and hundreds of sites came up.

Bluehue

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 12

banned..yes.. crazy..silly.. here ya go..

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/holidays-christmas/the-dragee-report-016021

its little report on why CA doesnt allow them

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 12

they're illegal in some states because evidentally the silver ones had actual silver in them which is considered toxic to ingest!! (I ate tons of those as a kid by the way and maybe that explains a lot about me lol)

officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 12

hahaha! i know how you feel! i really do miss them and yes i just ordered some! cant wait to sneak a few in my system!

erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 12

I remember eating them as a kid, but I certainly wouldn't now. I don't care to break my teeth, and they don't even taste good. Just like I wouldn't sit and eat gumpaste. It's ridiculous the amount of stuff that our "legal" system has to step in and control. Unless you are sitting and eating mass quantities of the stuff I don't see how eating one or two on a cookie or on a single slice of cake is going to kill you, but then again, I'd never heard of anyone who was allergic to water until the other day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%