Rkt Do You Serve/eat It?

Decorating By Jillfcs Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm by DecorateMe

Jillfcs Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 14

I have always wondered about this when you create something out of RKT and cover it in fondant, do you actually serve/eat it?

I am making a cake and then I want to make a rather large fleur de leis that will lay on an angle on top of the cake (sticking out beyond the bottom cake). I would like to make the fleur de leis out of RKT rather than carve it as a cake (because the bottom cake will serve enough people).

When serving, would I take the fleur de leis off and serve it?

13 replies
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 14

I have found that the kids at the events LOVE the RKT things. I know they have been removed from the cake and plated, just make sure it is obvious that they are not cake when served!

Jillfcs Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 14

EXCELLENT -- thanks, Loucinda!

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 14

absolutely.......I actually had a bride order one tier of her wedding cake out of frosted RKT!! I basically pressed them into the cake pan and then decorated them like a cake!

Anyhow, if they weren't going to eat them there would be no point in making them edible....may as well make the fleur de lis out of styrofoam if they're not going to eat it!

That's the most fun about them, there is always SOMEONE who doesn't care for cake...and they almost always love rkt. Usually people fight over the RKT just because it's different and unexpected I think! Oh....and because they're good!

Jillfcs Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 14

I am SO GLAD I had the nerve to ask! Thanks, guys!

cownsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 14

Oh absolutely. I've yet to have a cake that incorporates RKT into to it that people weren't claiming their what part they want beforehand. I just did a baby butt cake for a friend and the first thing she asked was if anything on the cake was RKT, then claimed a foot was hers to eat.... lol

AnotherCreation Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 14

I made a tractor cake and the wheels were rkt...The Adults were actually the ones that were fighting over who was gonna get the wheels lol

DecorateMe Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 14

Are your RKT made of just melted marshmellows and rice crispies or do you add other things?

Thanks!

erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 14

I've only done a few things out of RKT, the last was the base of my son's giant cupcake I made for his birthday. I used the base as a mold for candymelts to make the cupcake wrapper and then pressed the RKT into the candy mold and only baked the cake in the top part of the pan. It worked out well.

I love RKT, especially homemade (the prepackaged ones are too sweet for me), and will eat that over cake.

leslie2748 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

Yes...how have you all made yours? I tried them once, and they were so hard and compacted with the traditional recipe, they were TERRIBLE..on Cake Boss they look so perfect and chewy? Any tips?

leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 14

I buy 'em. They're the perfect consistency and if I only need a little bit for, say a tree trunk, then I only open a couple of packages. Well, I maaaay open 1 extra package . . .

erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 14

I buy them too, even though I prefer the taste of homemade just for my own snacking.... but I don't make them often because I hate the mess. You can buy them in sheets too. I think I've seen them on Country Kitchen's website.

cownsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 14

From what I've seen on Cake Boss he buys the premade sheets of them. A chef friend of ours gave us the large sheet to use one time. It worked great, and it was free... lol For everything else we make our own and adjust the amount of marshmallows we use depending on if we need it to be a bit stiffer or softer. (We also add butter into our recipe). Everyone we make them for loves them. I personally can't stand them, not homemade or premade so I'm not a good judge on that.

DecorateMe Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 14

I can't get premade ones here, didn't know they existed! I do make my own, just haven't tried molding anything from them so was wondering if it's just the normal recipe that the squares are made from. I also make peanut butter ones, but that's probably best to avoid for allergy reasons.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%