Red Velvet Supposed To Be Dense?

Baking By MicheeCakes Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 4:47am by AmandaLP

MicheeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheeCakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

I made my first batch of Red Velvet cupcakes using Cakeman Raven's recipe. They came out beautifully and tasted great, but they were very dense and had no dome. I didn't have any problems with dryness, although I did expect them to be a lot more moist than they were. Oddly enough, they tasted better the next day after being aced in my Cupcake Courier (refridgerated) for the night. Much more moist the next day. I read a lot of posts and blogs about people who have made these cupcakes, and that they were supposed to be really moist... but never mentioned really how dense they SHOULD be. With that said, I'm unsure if my cupcakes were a success, even though they tasted fantastic the day after..haha. Any feedback would be appreciated!

3 replies
CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 4

Sounds like you did get it right. Red Velvet is supposed to be a rich, dense, moist cake. (At least all the versions of RV that I've liked have been icon_lol.gif ) You don't want it to be super moist or light because then it tastes weird.

MicheeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheeCakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 4

Phew, that's good to know. I thought they were supposed to be fluffy and moist. My RV cupcakes were really dense, comparable to sponge cake. Thanks for the response. icon_smile.gif

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 4

The cupcakes from Cake Man Ravens Bakery in Brooklyn were dense (and not that moist). So, it is probably the recipe icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%