Icing Fake Cakes

Decorating By cmeventcoordinator Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 4:38am by paula1234

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 13

I'm getting ready to make several fake cakes for display and contests, but this is the first time I will be making fake cakes that I want to last for a period of time.
I am planning to use mostly fondant, but is there a fondant that works best for fake cakes?
Also, is there a good home made alternative to Perma Ice, and if not then how much does one gallon cover (that stuff is pricey)?
I have 3 multi tierd dummy cakes I am doing, and I want them to look great and be able to hold up. Let me know any suggestions any of you have.

Thank you.

12 replies
paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:55am
post #2 of 13

I recently had the same question. I did a fake cake for my cub scout pack. We had our Blue and Gold banquet and did not want to cover the styrofoam in fondant since it was going to go on "tour" to woodbadge. I did not want spend a fortune for the perma-ice, either. Went to Home Depot and got some spackle that is used to repair holes in the walls. Applied that to the dummies with a putty knife, let it dry over night and sanded it smooth with sandpaper and it worked really well.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 13

Yep - spackling works great on dummies! That is what I use for the ones that are on display in the classroom.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 13

i used polly filler once to make a fake cake , it might be the same as spackle, like a putty you use to fill holes in walls, this was just a small craft project, nothing to go on display or anything, but it was fun, heavy once it dried though

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 13

I've use royal icing to cover my displays. Once it dries you can sand it with a fine sand paper to get rid of imperfections and make it nice and smooth.

A question for those of you who use spackling, does the spackling dry nice and white? Do you coat it with anything after it dries, like a clear acrylic spray.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 13

No, didn't coat it with anything. It does dry white. One important thing is to NOT decorate it until it is COMPLETELY dry. (I used royal icing flowers to decorate it) and there was a reasction with the royal and the not dry spackling - it melted the royal. It wasn't a problem after it was dry though.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 13

I have just ordered a set of cake dummies, I was planning to practice and then create a 4 tier dummy cake, I was going to use fondant to cover the dummies. If I use the fondant should I cover the dummies in plastic? What should I be covering with? can't say I've heard of speckling before. TIA icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 13

i don't cover them in anything when covering in fondant or bc! I do paint them with corn syrup so the fondant sticks though!

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 13

When I cover dummies with fondant I either spray some water on them or a tad bit of piping gel so that the fondant completely sticks to the dummies, makes things a lot easier.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 13

Question? If you use the spackling can you decorate it and then take the decorations off and use the same one again or do you have to re-spackle each time.

I like to make different dummy cakes and just re-use them but wondering if I have re-spackle each time.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 13

Hi there,
I found this information about covering cake dummies on Baking 911 .com - hope it helps !

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_dummy.htm

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 13

All this info is very helpful, I have a few more questions though.

Spackle; If you do the spackle, then do you pre-color it for colored one, and what do you color it with, paint? (I'm doing a few in some different colors other than white).

Fondant; Several of you mention sticking the fondant on using water or corn syrup or piping gel, so does this mean you don't dirt ice the dummies with anything prior to putting the fondant on?

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #13 of 13

After I sanded mine I painted with craft paints. Didn't take it long to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%