Tiara Help

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm by Loucinda

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 22

Can anyone give me instructions on how to make a tiara for a princess cake that I am doing. I have no clue where to start.

21 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 22

Gumpaste Tiara

1.  I use all gumpaste (not colored) to make them that way I can paint them whatever color I want when I am done. When I do paint them, I use the amiericolor sheen paints, they give a nice sparkle to the finished tiara. Have the gumpaste ready, and make some gumglue (put a small piece of gumpaste in a container and add some water (1/4 t. of gumpaste to about 1 tablespoon of water) that is the gumglue.

2.  I use the Makins green T extruder to make the ropes but you can roll them by hand just use something like a fondant smoother to roll the rope back and forth to get it nice and the same thickness that works. The more pressure you use with the smoother on the rope, the skinnier it makes it.

3.  Get a small oatmeal canister (or a jar/can about that size 12around) Tape the template of the tiara on there, make sure the bottom edge of the pattern is close to the bottom of the canister. (I get the templates from that section of the gallery on CC) then tape a piece of wax paper on top of the template. I then lightly grease the wax paper with shortning that helps the gumpaste stick to the surface some.

4.  Knead your gumpaste till very smooth I knead in some shorting to help it come out of the extruder better. I also lightly grease the inside of the barrel of the extruder. Load the gumpaste and use which ever die you want for the parts of the tiara.

5.  Now, making the ropes, I look at the template, and I make each rope long enough that it can be cut in half so that each side has the exact length of rope that way both sides stay symmetrical. I just work in sections, do one side of the design, then the other. I also lay the oatmeal canister on its side kind of leaning on a folded up towel so that it helps keep the pieces where they are supposed to be.

6.  AT EACH intersection, I use the gumglue just a dot or two of it. It will meld with the gumpaste and help hold it all together when it is dry.

7.  When you have all the pieces made and set on the template, make one more rope only make it a lot thicker than the others. You want it as long as the whole bottom edge of the tiara lay it at the very bottom edge and put gumglue everywhere there is a piece of rope this is the bottom of the tiara. (look at my pics, you can see what I mean) This is why I want the template bottom near the bottom of the oatmeal canister so that bottom edge is at the bottom of the canister when it is setting upright.

8.  Now just let it dry. It will take a day or so. After it seems dry, gently remove the wax paper (with the template on it) from the canister I cut the tape, and lift the oatmeal canister out of the way then gently peel the wax paper off the back of the tiara, and let it dry again just setting there.

9.  Now it is ready to paint! Just paint it whatever color you want and let it dry and you are done.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 22

Here us a pic of the gumpaste ones I have made:
LL

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:56am
post #5 of 22

WOW thank you so much Loucinda! Great instructions!!!!! When you paint it do you use an airbrush?

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 22

You can, but I just painted it with a regular paint brush. (lots of little nooks and crannies that I wanted to make sure I got!) If you need any help with it, just ask!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 22
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 22

KH - how did you get the pearl to stick to the chocolate? Is it dry-dusted? (I have made them out of chocolate before too, but didn't realize you can pearl the chocolate!!)

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 22

yep, I dry dust it as soon as I take it out of the freezer to firm up the last layer piped on! It sticks really well! I use a large blush brush to do it.

Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 22

Thank you!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 22

Wow, wonderful tutorial. thanks so much, Loucinda. Now I really want an opportunity to make one, having 4 boys means it might be a while icon_smile.gif.

Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, I am not sure a boy would appreciate it! I actually made one for a baby shower (again for a baby girl) the mom cried when she saw the cake!

I pormised folks the next one I make, I will take pics of each step and submit it as a tutorial.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 22

I just made my first last week. I made it with a gumpaste mold from caljava. Dried for 4-5+ days. I made three in case of breakage and for later use. Airbrushed with a mix of shimmer gold and pearl. Jewels are isomalt in varying degrees of pink.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1603002

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 22

tinygoose, how did you get the tiara and roses so shiny? I've used luster dust on mine before, but they never look that shiny!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 22

I've always made them from gumpaste, but love the idea of chocolate. I like that the chocolate tiara can be eaten.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

tinygoose, how did you get the tiara and roses so shiny? I've used luster dust on mine before, but they never look that shiny!

Thank you.
I didn't use luster dust, I used shimmer airbrush paint. Lucks gold shimmer airbrush color #43542 and americolor pearl airbrush color. I airbrushed the roses in "pearl" the crown in gold w/ a little pearl mixed in.

tortitas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortitas Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 22

Loucinda, extruded gumpaste is a great idea! I have only made one and it was from the tutorial posted here. Even given it a couple of coats to make it thicker it still broke icon_cry.gif and I don't even want to tell people that this is available on their cakes. I will certainly try this method!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 22

Loucinda, what great instructions! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it all out. I'm gonna try it!

KHalstead - I read your other posts about using candy melts but not exactly sure how you did it? Did you just melt them and pipe them onto the template?

Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 22

I am glad you all like it, if you need any help with anything, just let me know!

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Loucinda, what great instructions! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it all out. I'm gonna try it!

KHalstead - I read your other posts about using candy melts but not exactly sure how you did it? Did you just melt them and pipe them onto the template?

yep........just wrapped a template around a cake dummy, then wrapped a sheet of wax paper around that and piped it directly onto the wax paper, pop it in the freezer to firm up, pipe another layer, back in the freezer, and so on until it's thick enough for my likings (I like at least 3 layers for large tiaras, more layers if there is a lot of holes or empty spaces in the design)

HTH

Hey Loucinda.......what kind of extruder do you use?

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 22

Loucinda:

That's a really nice Tiara!

Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you! I use the Makins Green "T" extruder. Make sure you add shortning to the gumpaste and knead, then knead it some more! And grease the barrel! I love mine! You can get them at some hobby stores, or online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%