Freshness For Nfsc

Baking By SPCC Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 2:26am by TracyLH

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 15

how long will the NFSC recipe stay fresh. I have to make 60 vanilla and 60 chocolate ones and mail them to NY for my sister in laws baby shower at the end of the month and I was wondering how long the cookie would stay fresh. TIA[/code]

14 replies
bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 15

Great question ! Ive wanted to know this myself...

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 15

I know this does not answer the freshness part as I am sure others will answer that, but one thing that I always do is heat seal mine in cello bags. Just wanted to add that as I find that it helps a great deal.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #4 of 15

I found the answer. they last about 5-14 dys depending on who is eating them. Haha icon_biggrin.gif

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #5 of 15

quality= seven days; after that they're still edible but tend to get a little hard.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #6 of 15

Heat seal, with a commercial baging maching???? Interesting. Where do you get such a thing? Sure sounds like that would really help.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 15

If you buy cookies in a store, they keep a long, long time. Cookies used to be baked up to 4 weeks before christmas and eaten well into January in Europe. They are durable, as long as they are packaged and kept in a tin. As soon as Royal Icing hardens, that too is durable, for months, so why not the combination NFSC and Royal Icing?

TracyLH Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:32am
post #8 of 15

An impulse sealer would be ideal on down the line, but for how I use a hair straightener. icon_lol.gif (Obviously dedicated for this use only. icon_smile.gif )

Not to say this one is the one to use, but it shows the concept of an impulse sealer:

http://www.officezone.com/traco-tish-bag-sealers.htm

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 15

For anyone wanting to heat seal thier cookies in Australia - i picked this little fantastic beauty of a sealer up at Chriristmas for $129.00...in Kmart (was the last one left and i heard it calling out to me - icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif )
Not only have i cryopacked all my meats and fish/seafoods - i works a treat on the little food safe cellophane bags....

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1569

Bluehue

nesweetcake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks gals! Very interesting. I have a vacuum sealer in the closet. But thinking the cello bags are nicer for cookies. Great idea on the hair straightener, I would have never thought of it.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

Thanks gals! Very interesting. I have a vacuum sealer in the closet. But thinking the cello bags are nicer for cookies.

icon_redface.gif perhaps i wasn't clear with what i typed above - i use my vacuum sealer to seal the little cellophane bags once i put my cookies in them - i don't use the speacial vac bags that you gt with the machine - sorry if thats what you thought i meant.
Great for doing two at a time when you have a large order thumbs_up.gif
Bluehue

Great idea on the hair straightener, I would have never thought of it.

nesweetcake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the clairfication!!!!! I must try, and love that you could do two at one time!~!!!! Thanks again, everyone is so willing to share. That is how we all get better and smarter!!!!!

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 15

I use food grade shrink wrap for my cookies. Got them from Nashville Wraps. 500 bags for about $10 - $15 can't remember. They have 2 sizes. I love it. Keeps the cookie fresh longer and the bouquets/packaging look nice.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 15

Personally, I have a "5-day rule" that I like to use - 5 days from making the dough to delivering. I try to encourage them to be eaten within a week after baking. I do know that people keep them longer and say they are fine, but I don't encourage it.

Here is the link to a previous thread on freshness, and some links to threads about freezing (you can do that successfully before or after icing with Royal).

freshness
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660400-fresh.html

freezing cookies
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633905.html

freezing & using RI
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632656.html

hope these help!

TracyLH Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #15 of 15

Thanks, Bonnie, for putting that together! I have always wondered about freezing, but have never tried. Might be worth an experiment sometime to see for when there are just too many to do at one time. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%