Why Did My Fondant Pull Off The Ganche?

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm by bennett5

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 16

I made a Guinness choc cake and poured 1:1 dark choc ganache on it...let it set overnight ...then in the am I used the Planet Cake method of hot spatula-ing the ganache to smooth it..thought this was also to get the fondant to adhere to it...

Is this simply to smooth it, and then I was supposed to apply some simple syrup for the fondant?

'cause when we ate the cake the ganache just peeled right off with the fondant!

TYIA!

15 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 16

I think that is pretty typical, if you are going to peel the fondant off, the ganache is going to be stuck to it. Did you cut it with the fondant on the cake?

tavyheather Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 16

yes. So the individual pieces were cut and then the fondant peeled off with the ganache stuck to it..

should I just buy better fondant and then it wont need to be pulled off?

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 16

My suggestion is this recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

It is so yummy !! And so much cheaper to make than to buy !!

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 16

Once you applied the ganache ,how long did you let it set for? normally they say 7hrs to overnight, then cover it with fondant. I made one last week followed the above instructions that some one gave me at CC. I did wet the ganache with warm sugar syrup before covering it with fondant. It was perfect. The ganache i made was 2:1 (dark choc - cream) Hope this would help

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett5

I am sooo scared to make my own fondant!!! Is this recipe easy, along with being yummy?

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

Once you applied the ganache ,how long did you let it set for? normally they say 7hrs to overnight, then cover it with fondant. I made one last week followed the above instructions that some one gave me at CC. I did wet the ganache with warm sugar syrup before covering it with fondant. It was perfect. The ganache i made was 2:1 (dark choc - cream) Hope this would help

yep, I did overnight but didn't do the sugar syrup...wondering if that would have helped

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #8 of 16

The receipe for MFF is very easy and it IS yummy. I like the white chocolate version too. Just make sure to strain your gelatin mixture before adding.

suzied Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #9 of 16

.....yep, I did overnight but didn't do the sugar syrup...wondering if that would have helped[quote

Forgot to tell you i kept the ganache in the fridge for an hr and then applied it with a spatula, didnt pour it. Could the ganache have been a bit dry??

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

.....yep, I did overnight but didn't do the sugar syrup...wondering if that would have helped[quote

Forgot to tell you i kept the ganache in the fridge for an hr and then applied it with a spatula, didnt pour it. Could the ganache have been a bit dry??

hmm...I think I let it sit for a while but never put it in the fridge b4 pouring it. Do you mean dry as in hard/(it formed a shell)... or is that a term I don't know?

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 16

A ganache made with 1:1 will never set firm enough for fondant.

The confusion arises here when people give advice based on ganache being a GENERIC term. There are many types of ganache and the ganache used by Planet Cake for use under fondant is made at a 2:1 ration (ie. 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream)

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

A ganache made with 1:1 will never set firm enough for fondant.

The confusion arises here when people give advice based on ganache being a GENERIC term. There are many types of ganache and the ganache used by Planet Cake for use under fondant is made at a 2:1 ration (ie. 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream)

Then I'm sorry, I have my ratio wrong..it was 2:1..It had to be...the ganache was a hard shell!

suzied Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #13 of 16

yes i think yr ratio is wrong. if you want to pour over then, you shouldnt put it in the fridge. its just that i wanted the undercoat to be neat b4 i placed the fondant so i placed the ganache in the fridge and applied it with a spatula

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:23am
post #14 of 16

good grief I just noticed I spelled it ganche. Now I reallly look like a dummy icon_sad.gif

Someone please tell me how to edit posts/post titles?

suzied Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:37am
post #15 of 16

Dont worry the brain still recognizes it as ganache. Didnt notice it till you pointed it out. They say you can edit, not sure how. Go back to forums where you started try cutting it off and renaming, thats the only thing i can think of

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett5

I am sooo scared to make my own fondant!!! Is this recipe easy, along with being yummy?

Dont be scared, its just a matter of warming stuff up and mixing. Maybe a little messy, but really simple. Try it once and just see if you like it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%