Fondant Question ~ Please Help!

Decorating By Bklyn_Babie Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm by Marianna46

Bklyn_Babie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bklyn_Babie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #31 of 38

3lbs. interesting. i must research these ingredients and prices of them and work out a cost/lb ratio vs. purchased rolled fondant and see how much it would save me to determine whether or not it would be beneficial to spend the time to make it vs. just buying it and waiting for it to ship here.

thanks so much for all the info, ladies, you've all been so wonderful to me!

Bklyn_Babie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #32 of 38

so heres a quick question, maybe someone can help me with.

at the top of the cake, i will be placing a big 'double happiness' symbol in chinese. i plan to make this out of fondant. i was thinking of cutting this character out of fondant, two of them, and then 'gluing' them together with the toothpicks inbetween to give it some 'strength' to stand up atop the cake.

any suggestions to use as a binding agent to glue the fondant backs to each other around the toothpicks? i normally just use hairspray =x

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #33 of 38

I would make your characters out of gumpaste, much stronger. You could push some toothpicks in the bottom of them before they dry, then stick them in the cake. Royal icing works great to glue stuff together too.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #34 of 38

i use egg whites for gluing my stuff together. I agree gum paste is a better way to go with that.

Bklyn_Babie Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #35 of 38

awesome! thanks for the suggestions =D

Bklyn_Babie Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #36 of 38
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #37 of 38

Very nice, I bet your aunt was thrilledicon_smile.gif.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #38 of 38

Your finished cake was truly spectacular. Can you tell us more about it? How many pounds of fondant did you end up using, what fondant did you finally decide on, how did the transportation go, and stuff like that. This has been a real adventure, and I admire you for pursuing it as tenaciously as you have. Here's "double happiness" to you, as well as to the bride and groom!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%