Keeping It Steady...what's The Key?

Business By sweetlayers Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm by sweetlayers

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I seem to always have a very high volume of work or none at all. Like 2 weeks on super high speed and then 2 weeks of NOTHING! Does anyone have any advice as to how to keep it steady?

I don't mind doing extra extra work during the busy seasons but I really dislike the nothing in between.

Thanks in Advance.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 9

same here. It's the nature of the beast.

We also own a B&B. Same there.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 9

I wish I knew the answer to this too! I make frositng up ahead of time and store it for the weeks that I have a lot of cakes, that is one less thing I have to make.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:17am
post #4 of 9

Be grateful for the time off and rest up for the next rush!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #5 of 9

What leah said. We're in a feast-or-famine industry.

I personally LOVED the "famine" weeks (if it was just one or two now and then! icon_biggrin.gif ) because it meant a saturday home with my family. It meant not standing on my feet for 15 hours straight on a catering. It meant no backbreaking work. It meant being able to actually GO OUT for dinner instead of running thru the drive thru. It meant having time to babysit my grandchildren.

Look at the blessings that come along with those slow weeks. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 9

That is an excellent way of looking at it indy!! icon_smile.gif I know my DH likes the weekends that there are no cakes on the books!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 9

Every time I think I'm gonna have a famine weekend, the calls start coming in. Even though I now have a commercial kitchen, I still work a full time job during the week, so like indydebi, i actually enjoy some time off occasionally.

I find I have to actually black out a weekend every now and then. I am too old and fat to work 24/7!! LOL!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9

I'm with you indy, I find myself praying that the next call won't be for a cake for THIS weekend LOL

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9

Well, I guess I won't go crazy. There is laundry to do and children to raise during the down time. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for easing my mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%