Bubbles In My Buttercream!

Baking By brandibaker Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 2:33am by KathysCC

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 10

Hi- I keep getting bubbles (or air pockets I guess would be a better way to describe them) in my buttercream and it will not smooth all the way. What is causing this? Am I beating it too much? I use the wilton crisco recipe. Please help!! icon_smile.gif
Brandi

9 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 10

Try reading this forum. Lots of info on buttercream.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1353.html

The trick I learned from sugarshack is to make sure you make a large enough batch of buttercream that your beaters are completely covered or under the buttercream. That way they are not mixing air into it. It works like magic, perfectly smooth buttercream.

brandibaker Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I will have to try that.. I usually make a double batch but I have 4 cakes in the next 2 weeks so I should need more buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 10

I get this too. Are you icing your cake layers while cold or frozen? I just read some old forums on gases being released from cold or frozen cakes and causing air bubbles. Im going to try and do a few cakes at room temp to see if I get better results...

brandibaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 10

I frost at room temp or from the fridge and it happens to both so I don't think that is what is happening....

KathysCC Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 10

You should try IndyDebi's recipe. It tastes so much better than Wilton's.

Are you saying that you have huge bubbles forming UNDER the buttercream or little air bubbles IN the buttercream?

brandibaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 10

They are in the buttercream..so they leave holes that I have a really hard time smoothing out. I will check out her recipe. Thanks!

KathysCC Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 10

Then definitely try the method of making sure your beaters are under the buttercream..that was what solved my "bubbles in the buttercream" problem.. Do you have a KA mixer? I think they tend to beat less air into the buttercream than a standard mixer. Don't overbeat your buttercream or mix it on high.

Oh here's another idea, make sure all your wet ingredients, shortening, flavorings and water go into the bowl first and are mixed together. Yes, water or milk does not mix with shortening but if you add it in small amounts, it will incorporate into the shortening. Then add about 1/3 of your powdered sugar, mix it JUST until it is incorporated, add another 1/3, do the same thing, then the rest. If your buttercream is too dry, it will stick to the sides and beaters and leave gaps which whip in bubbles, so you have to have your wet ingredients measure correctly to start with. If you have the right consistency, it will almost looks too thin or wet but there will be no gaps, just smooth buttercream in the bowl, under the beaters.

Hard to explain without pictures or something but hope this helps.

OH, one other thing. I do all this and sometimes still have small air bubbles but it is nothing like I got when I was a novice.

brandibaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 10

yes I have a KA mixer. I always mix my wet in first but then I add all of my sugar so I will try to do it 1/3 at a time. Also, can you tell me where to find the BC recipe you suggested? I looked but didn't find it. I am still learning how to navigate this site=)
Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%