Why -Air Bubble On Cake?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm by TexasSugar

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 4

I covered my cake in fondant, went away for a few hours and came back to a huge air bubble growing out of the side of the cake. I have no idea why this happened? Anyone? See photo below...
I was planning to redo this cake anyway - it came out lumpy...
PS: I cover my cakes partially defrosted and always have ,with no issues. There was no filling so no settling issues...
TIA
LL

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 4

it's the gas being released because the cake was too cold!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, that is the problem. I am not sure why it hasn't happened to you before now if you do this all the time....I NEVER had good luck with freezing cakes, I just don't do it anymore. One thing that is good, is that the cake is all nice and room temp. now, it should work fine!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

I've had this happen and I never freezer or put my cakes in the fridge, so I'm not sure that is the cause myself.

Personally I just feel it is air in the cake. Since it never happens right away, it takes time for it to get released, and makes a not so nice bubble in the cake. I've had this happent o straight buttercream cakes.

You can take a straight pen and stick it in the bubble to pop it. You'll have to press around it to make sure all the air is out. And I have had it rebubble before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%