What Can I Use For A Sturdy Thick Cake Base??

Decorating By michgowell Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 1:28am by LittleLinda

michgowell Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 9

What is a good material to use for a thick sturdy cake base, round or square that can be decorated with fondant, etc... I don't want to waste money on the foil wrapped ones in the stores and would like to decorate my own, but can't find plain thick ones. What do you use???

Thanks!!

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

foam core board
ceramic tiles at the hardware store (even marble ones are less than $5.....some are only $1 each!)
mdf (medium density fiberboard= plywood...a 4'x6' sheet is about $4 at Home Depot, adn they'll cut it for you too)

tracycakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 9

For large cakes, I use MDF. I use piping gel and cover with fondant, or fanci foil usually.

Toptier Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 9

Sometimes I use the 1" thick sheets of polystyrene insulation available at stores like Home Depot. They are like $4 for a 2'x4' sheet. I hot glue a cake cardboard the size I want on top and cut around with a serrated knife. Cover with foil or fondant and it makes a nice, sturdy, cheap, and lightweight base. HTH

vita752001 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 9

I use chopping board.

msulli10 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 9

I use the foam core board at Michael's or AC Moore. It's the quite large, easy to cut and very sturdy. They come in different colors. Use a coupon and it's a great deal.

hazelhuney Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 9

What Ive done lately, is go 2 lowes or home depot, and get a wood board the size that i want, then cover it in fondant. its great VERY sturdy and holds heavy cakes GREAT! and can use it over n over , if you want 2change the color just peel off the fondant put a new one.. hope this helps.

tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

i use to use a glass/mottled cutting board. but as the cakes got larger and heavier i noticed it would bend slightly in the middle. NOT GOOD. so i sent hubby to hardware store, he got plywood and cut it to size for me. I cover it in wax paper. then over that in fancy foil. So far so good. especially when talking 80-100 lb cakes !!

LittleLinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #9 of 9

I cut cardboard and double it. I cover it in freezer wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%