Can I Bake And Freeze A Cake 2 Weeks In Advance???

Decorating By multilayered Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm by KASCARLETT

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 14

I have to make a sneaker cake for the 21st, and that is a CRAZY week for me. If I bake, layer and carve it this week can I freeze it , or will it have a "not so fresh" taste by next week? Also if I can do that than what's the best way to defrost it with out it turning to mush?? TIA Andrea

13 replies
hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 14

I just asked that same question last week!icon_smile.gif

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 14

I freeze all of my cakes. Some people argue that they taste even better when frozen and then thawed. Here's what I do; once cooled (can still be a little warm) double wrap in plastic wrap, then double wrap in foil. To thaw, just take them out and let them sit at RT, wrapped, for a few hours or until you're ready to decorate.

I have thawed cakes after 6 weeks and they were perfect. Good Luck.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 14

it will taste wonderful!!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

Yep it will be fine, just wrap it well in several layers and then thaw it slowly wrapped (I unwrapped each layer and let it sit for a bit before going onto the next layer) and don't touch it if it has condensation on it until it dries. I got the same answer a few months ago when I asked and I did it, hesitantly, but it came out perfect!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 14

I too have frozen many cakes in advance and no one (even a snooty booty who "KNEW" she could tell) never knew the wiser.
I triple saran wrap mine, tight as I can. I take them out to thaw (at room temp on the counter - leave wrapped) the night before I need to frost. By morning they are perfect & moist as ever.
Sometimes, if I need to torte, I partially thaw, then torte while its still good and cold. I get a nice clean cut that way.

Happy Baking!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 14

I think cakes (and cookies) taste better after they've been frozen. They seem more moist. Good luck with your crazy week!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 14

I always freeze mine, even if it is just overnight. It definately does make the cakes moister. I know frozen cakes have gotten a bad "rap" in the past - but I'm trying to educate people on that! I work full-time too, so this is a great time saver for me!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 14

What about cupcakes?? do any of you freeze cupcakes too??

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 14

yes, i freeze cupcakes in a tupperware container. works great. nice and moist.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone.....I also have a follow up question.Can I have the filling in the middle before I freeze it or no???TIA

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #12 of 14

You can freeze a torted cake with SMBC or ganache filling, but a lot of the other fillings won't do so well. I wouldn't go that far. The cakes will freeze fine, but I would fill them closer to the delivery date.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #13 of 14

Agreed with luddroth, I always make the fillings fresh. But I have frozen buttercream and that was fine

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 14

Yes, you can freeze cupcakes. I have put them in a freezer bag before and it's worked fine. I would set them on a cookie sheet first and let them freeze for a few hours - then put them in the bag though. And I have also just covered them on the cookie sheet with plastic wrap and foil. I also know of people who keep them in the muffin tins and wrap it to freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%