Help With Sps And Pillared Cake

Decorating By mazdamoose Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm by mazdamoose

mazdamoose Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a square wedding cake coming up. I would like to try and use the SPS system. My question is, they would like fresh roses in between the tiers. I am planning on doing a 14/12/10/8 inch tiers with flowers in between all. What size plates do I need under the cakes and how big should the pillars be?! Do I get the same size plate as cake will be. I am just doing fondant covering with a fabric ribbon border. And how do I get the flowers in the middle? I've heard of doing flower foam covered in fondant and then sticking the roses into that?! Thanks for all your help!!

3 replies
tracycakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 4

I get the plates that are the same size as the cake. I usually do stacked cakes but I have a pillared one coming up. I am buying the 9" pillars for that cake. For the roses, I would put something like wax paper down on the cake and put the roses in foam and then put that on the wax paper - to keep the foam and roses off of the cake itself. HTH!

leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

For a cake with separations, use the multi-piece legs (Not the 9" ones) You'll use 1, 5" leg plus 1, 2" extension. That creates 3" of airspace between the 4" tall tiers. Looks perfect. You can put down a piece of waxed paper, but really, I just point the flower heads out and let the ends of the stem dangle in the airspace.

Yes, order the same size plates as the cakes.

The 9" legs create too much space for the separations. If your cake tier is 4" tall, you've created 5" of airspace. It costs a fortune in flowers to fill up that space and it looks like a flower tower with a little cake added. I'd think you'd want it to look like a cake with flowers accenting the cake.

mazdamoose Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! Leah.. I hoped you would reply since you seem to know so much about the SPS! I was looking I think on the Oasis site and they have the 5inch pillars with the 2 inch add ons, so I think I will buy those! You guys are so great! I was sitting here stressing all day about making sure I buy the right ones, and now my decision is a lot easier!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%