Imprinting A Design

Decorating By sister340 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 12:11am by metria

sister340 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 9

I don't have a projector and I want to get an impression of a color book page on the cake. I copied it mirror image and I read how you can do the wax paper method and outline it in RI. Let it dry, tip it over on cake, press and have a basic pattern. Do any of you do that? And then I want to use the star tip to fill in. Do you do that or the black outline first? Is there a better way?

I know this is so basic, but I've never done it.

Thanks in advance!!

8 replies
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

You can do a piping gel transfer too. (google it, there are is a ton of info on it!)

sewsweet2 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 9

I use a crusting buttercream icing. I just use a #1 tip and my crusting buttercream to make my imprint. Outline first, then fill in with the stars.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 9

If you are filling it in with stars I'd say maybe piping gel transfer.

I would outline it in black and then fill in with the stars from there.

On my pink and black cake in my photos I piped the design in royal icing on the glass from a picture frame then used that to press against the cake. So that is an option as well.

And if you don't want to do stars you can look up the Frozen Buttercream Transfer or Chocolate Transfers or Color Flow/Royal Icing pieces.

sister340 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks, I'll try these ideas. Scooby Doo on a 4 yr old's cake.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 9

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

11carol Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 9

this is great info-could of used it on cake last night must try use it....thanks

satcal Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 9

what I do is take the picture, lay it on the cake then use a needle and poke through the paper and into the cake, following the design. When done, remove the paper and the design is dotted on the cake. then I use either piping gel or BC to outline/connect the dots and then fill it in. This can be a little time consuming, depending on your design but Ive done it lots so Im pretty quick at it. icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #9 of 9

"10 Ways to Transfer Images by Kim Fess"

Quote by @%username% on %date%