"american Cake Decorator" Magazine Subscription

Decorating By cdgleason Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 1:33pm by meldancer

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 43

Has anyone had problems with a subscription to "American Cake Decorator" magazine?
I paid for my subscription in October of 2009 and I STILL have not received my first issue. I've sent two emails to the company and I have received two different "excuses" as to why the subscription is taking so long to arrive.
I just looked on Amazon and there were several comments/complaints that basically say the same the same thing... PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS THAT NEVER ARRIVE!
I should probably say that I ordered this magazine subscription long before I knew about "cake central magazine" and I'm really regretting my actions!!
I would love to know how to get my magazine and warn others of their extremely bad service!
Companies like the really shouldn't be able to stay in business!

42 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 43

I think that nearly *everyone* has had trouble with that magazine.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 43

It usually takes over 6 months to start receiving your magazines from them. And if you end up getting all the issues you are owed you will be one of the lucky ones.

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 43

Are you talking about American Cake Decorating Magazine? I subscribed to them for many years, this past two years are the only years I have not subscribed. I have always received all my magazines and never had a problem with them, of course, I think the change administration/editor or something like that and maybe now their service is not that good. But for the years I was subscribe they had a wonderful customer service.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 43

I had subscribed for two years. I did receive all my issues but wasn't really impressed with how much I paid for what I got. Which is the reason I haven't ever renewed.

mkbennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkbennett Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 43

I subscribed to this magazine July of last year and have received one issue. It was the Oct, Nov, Dec issues and I received it first part of January. I was not impressed with the one issue that I did receive. Last week I requested a refund and haven't heard back from them.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 43

Never received the issues on time (if at all). Complete waste of money.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 43

I wish that I had never sent them a check in October. I haven't received one issue yet. I requested a refund through e-mail and they said that I should receive an issue this month. We'll see, but I won't hold my breath.

DonnaLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DonnaLS Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 43

I too have had the same issues and just got the run around with everyone I spoke with. I also asked for a refund and to cancel the subscription I have not received a magazine but have not yet got my money back. I agree this was a waste and have now ordered the cake central magazine!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 43

I renewed and haven't received any issues since last Fall. It was spotty at best but my Grandmother in law thought it would be a nice Christmas present. I haven't seen anything in a long time. I appreciate her thoughtfulness and my husband thought it would be a nice gift so he suggested it to her. Honestly, I'd rather have 20 pounds of Wilton fondant then that waste of money. I wasn't impressed with what I saw in it either.

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 43

When I ordered mine, I also ordered Mailbox news. I got all of the American cake decorating in a timely manner but none of my Mailbox news. I called several times and they kept saying they would check on it. Months went by and nothing. One day I got a subscription renewal slip in mail and I called and said why would I renew, I never got the last one. Send me my money back. I then started getting my magazine. Go figure.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #12 of 43

It was such a PITA getting them for my retail shop that I stopped carrying them. I would receive them months after they should have been on the shelves (Christmas issues in January...come on, now). I did not renew my subscription. I don't know what the issue is there.

I had the same luck stocking Mail Box News.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #13 of 43

OMG! I was just wondering why I haven't received my latest subscription. I just received my xmas issue in Feb but I thought it was because I had moved and did not update the address in time. Mind you I updated my address in Sept! I guess I will save my renewal for the Cake Central Mag instead!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #14 of 43

I sent in a check for a subscription nearly 3 months ago. They show they never received it, I received one issue a couple of months ago, and my back has never processed the check. I guess I need to put a stop payment on the check since I don't know what is going on, but the stop payment costs just about the same as the subscription itself. Guess I will do that tomorrow and just cut my losses. I don't like what I am hearing from all you, anyway.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 43

Thanks, SO much, for all of your input, Ladies!!
I'm starting to feel like this may be a lost cause, it certainly doesn't make it any better that so many others have been taken advantage of as well.
I wonder if there is a way to report this company so that others don't have to deal with the same frustration??

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 43

Honestly, it's not going to matter. There are so many people with the same complaints and nothing is ever done about it. It's one of the worst run publications ever.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 43

I contacted them and they said we should receive a issue in March of ACD.Mailbox NewsSkipped an issue and they told me they would extend my sub. 1 month. I have always received mine. I hope they survive. I do enjoy the magazines along with Cake Central.It seems all other hobbies have lots of magazines dedicated to their craft, but cake decorating does not. I hope they all stay available for us.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #18 of 43

They just recently got a new editor within the past couple of months. She seems like she is trying to change things for the better. I hope so because I really loved the magazine and it just seem that the past two years it went downhill and the mailings were few and far between. Not to mention Im suppose to be in the next issue!!
I know I had ordered Mailbox news one time and never bothered to renew because I got it twice the whole time.
I also had ordered Pastry Chef Magazine and only got that twice too! Im glad that Cake Central came out with a magazine finally! I love their first issue and its so cool to know a few of the people in it! Not to mention jaw dropping cakes!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 43

I agree with the others....I get it, but usually a month after I was supposed to. It may have Easter ideas in it and I get it in June icon_sad.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:52am
post #20 of 43

I subscribe to Mailbox News, their sister publication. It is March 12, and the January/February edition just arrived today! I'm willing to cut them some slack, but really? March 12?

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:12am
post #21 of 43

Yes, it's great to be able to incorporate New Year's Eve and Valentine ideas into my St. Patrick Day and Easter Cakes! icon_smile.gif Grrrrr!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

Thanks, SO much, for all of your input, Ladies!!
I'm starting to feel like this may be a lost cause, it certainly doesn't make it any better that so many others have been taken advantage of as well.
I wonder if there is a way to report this company so that others don't have to deal with the same frustration??

Thats the problem, no one has reported them to the BBB. If you check the BBB website for ACD aka Grace McNamara, its states they are not a member but have an A record as no complaints have been filed.

You can still file a complaint even if ACD is not a member of BBB. If all
of you that have not received your mags file a complaint then maybe ACD will get their act together a lot faster.

I subscribed for 4 yrs and never got a an issue on time or I never received them at all. When I fist subscribed, I had to send them a photograph of my mastercard showing them I had paid, as they claimed I had not. One thing I did learn is you get faster results if you phone. Email, you just get sluffed off.

crazymomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymomof4 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #23 of 43

After taking my first cake course I subscribed to both magazines in September. I have called twice and got really bad excuses. The last time I spoke to them they said they would extend my subscription by 3 issues and they said I should recieve it by Marsh 24th??? Why that date I do not know. If I do not receive it I will be asking for a refund. It's such a shame because I was really looking forward to receiving the magazines.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #24 of 43

Yeah I pretty much cancelled my renewal per that exact problem; issues were late or nonexistent. It's a shame because it could be an excellent magazine otherwise!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #25 of 43

They start to have problems early last year when they have moved to new location. I was upset that my magazines arrived late. But I also heard that they got new editor so let's hope it will get better.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #26 of 43

I received the Oct/Nov/Dec issue the end of January. Nothing since. I did recieve the january/february issue of Mailbox news, just yesterday, march 15th. Not too sure about them anymore. when I first subscribed, they were very punctual. (2 years ago)

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #27 of 43

Just called them: Feb/Mar issue by March 24th; Apr/May issue by Apr 27th. That's all they had. More issue release dates to come. I used to buy ads in trade publications. I don't know what they tell their advertisers. Their release dates should be published in their media kits which are printed up way in advance, as ad buying recommendations for trade pubs are due to client by Sept-Oct the latest. I don't know-we'll see what happens come March 24!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #28 of 43

But was there ever a January issue? Hm....

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #29 of 43

I think Nov/Dec/Jan were all in the last magazine. Or was it Oct/Nov/Dec?

Anywho... Let me tell ya, I'm SOOO glad to be getting Cake Central Mag! It's really cool to see all of you guys' stuff! It's awesome to show the Hubs and say..."Ooh look, this person replied to my post the other day...isn't her cake awesome!" or " I have his cake in my favorites."

It's a pretty unique publication.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #30 of 43

According to their website there is not a January issue. Usually, just December, and then Feb/March. I never did get the sept/oct MBN, and I think I may be missing one ACD from last year too--I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I won't be renewing my subscription at this point. Going with the CC Magazine--much better quality, and so far I've gotten much better ideas out of it. That one is definitely worth the price!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%