Best Way To Remove Sugar Or Cornstarch From Coloured Fondant

Decorating By J_FO Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm by J_FO

J_FO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J_FO Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #1 of 19

I am just wondering what the best way is to remove the sugar or the cornstarch you use to roll the fondant, on your finished fondant? Also I am going to make mm fondant and I would liek to know which you reccomend to use, large marshmallows or mini's?

Thanks!

18 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:03am
post #2 of 19

hi, a dry paint brush removes the powders from the fondant and as for marshmallows.. i like mini's.

SimplySassyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySassyCakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:01am
post #3 of 19

I also use the mini marshmallows for my fondant.
To get the residue off of the fondant, you can just brush it off with a dry paintbrush or paper towel, but don't put too much pressure. Depending on how much you have, sometimes you can just lightly rub it off with your fingertips.

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:50am
post #4 of 19

a steamer, stream the finished cake/fondant pieces. As for the MM fondant I only purchase mine, can't help you there.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:32am
post #5 of 19

I use mini marshmallows as well. I think they melt better. I also use a paintbrush to clean off the mmf.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 19

On the Satin Ice website, www.rolledfondant.com Ron Ben Israel has a tutorial. In it, he says to wipe the entire surface off with a damp cloth after it has been put on the cake to remove any excess powdered sugar. Has anyone tried this?

CakeryBakery Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #7 of 19

I have, but prefer the steamer. If you wipe with a damp cloth you must make certain the cloth will not leave any residue or streaks and it must be pretty close to dry.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #8 of 19

I've been curious about steaming...any tips or recommendations on what to use?

CakeryBakery Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 19

you can purchase a cheap steamer, any brand will do. Don't waste your money on the expensive brands I've spent as much a $300.00 for a steamer and it didn't work any better than my $35.00 garment steamer. Just make certain it is blowing out the steam really heavy before you attempt to use it. Also be sure to use distilled water (preserves life).

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #10 of 19

After trying and failing with damp cloths and clear alcohol, I am in the dry brush camp. I do use shortening on my GP leaves to gloss them up, however!

Haven't tried steaming, but have heard that the clothes steamers are the tool you need to use.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #11 of 19

I gave in and bought a steamer. Works great on cakes and now I can steam my clothes!

I got the Conair Compact Garment Steamer from Walmart ~$30:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Compact-Garment-Steamer/4360372

Just make sure you extend the hose upward every so often while using it. Water can build up in the hose and if it's coiled, it will start sputtering as the steam tries to escape. Straighten the hose so the excess water can fall back into the base.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #12 of 19

I just flat out quit using sugar/cornstarch for that very reason and only use a very light layer of shortening now.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #13 of 19

Dry brush or steamer work great. If you want a shiny look you can use pam cooking spray.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #14 of 19

I use vodka in my airbrush. Works great! Am thinking of putting a steamer on my wish list but dont have one so far.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #15 of 19

I love the look of steaming my cakes, but when I actually bought a steamer (rather than just using my iron), it spit out water... How do I stop that?

CakeryBakery Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #16 of 19

Most importantly you want to make certain the steam is pouring out really heavy before you attempt to steam the cake.
Secondly, make sure the hose is kept straight. If not, it will allow the steam to pool, eventually "puddle" and make it's way to the top then onto your cake.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #17 of 19

I purchased a steamer for my daughters wedding, and had not used it ever since. I pulled it out and use it on my cakes. I love it, It gives the cakes a nice finish.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:45am
post #18 of 19

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I didn't realize you could get a steamer so inexpensively. For some reason I figured they were so much more! Might be looking into one of those.

J_FO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J_FO Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks for all your advice! In the end I used large marshmallows because the giant bag was on sale! And I didn't need to use anything to get the excess icing sugar off of the finished MMF, I just used my hands to get an even shape and it all came of then!! I love this fondat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%