Probably A Stupid Series Of Questions...

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm by Julie5

Julie5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 12

Ok, so I'm new here and new to baking wedding cakes so bear with me. First of all, after I apply a crumb coat and refrigerate it, should I apply the buttercream as soon as it comes out of the fridge or wait till its at room temperature? Also, about the icing. I made the Whimsical Bake House Buttercream and put it in the refrigerator as well while the crumb coat was setting up on the cake. A few years later, I took the cake straight out and the buttercream straight out and applied it. It immediately turned to mush and slid off the cake. So I scraped it off and got the computer. The cake is back in the fridge and the icing is on the counter.

So, the questions are... Should I let the cake come to room temp before icing and should I wait and let the icing come to room temp too before re-beating it and applying.

So sorry for all the questions. As I said I'm new and have 6 months to get this right before my first wedding cake but don't want to toss out these cakes I have in the fridge if at all possible.

Thanks

Julie

11 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:17am
post #2 of 12

My first question is why are you putting the cake in the 'frig? icon_confused.gif

When I crumb my cakes, I leave them on the counter. This permits the icing to "air dry" and to crust, which with my icing takes less than 10 minutes. (I'm not familiar with the icing recipe you're using ... I've only used one recipe for 30 years. icon_wink.gif )

Julie5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 12

Hmmm, guess I'm not sure why I refrigerate. Just what I always read. Thought if I wasn't gonna ice right away I should refrigerate anyway. Not not so sure..

TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 12

Are you putting in a filling that needs to be kept in the fridge or using an icing that needs to be kept in the fridge? If no, then skip that step.

I never put a cake in the fridge, unless I just have to because of a certain filling.

leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 12

Indy took the words right outta my mouth! Why is that cake in the fridge in the first place?

indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 12

Julie, the reason I never refrigerate my cakes is that I never grew up putting a cake in the 'frig. It just never ever crossed my mind to put a cake in the 'frig. Never saw a reason to while growing up .... never saw a reason to now.

Since then, I've learned that refrigerating a cake actually speeds up the "going stale" process, so folks who put a cake in the 'frig to "keep it fresh" appear to be getting it staler faster.

Freezing a cake halts the "going stale" process and actually adds moisture to the cake.

Freezing good ... very good. Refrigerating bad ... very bad! icon_biggrin.gif

bakermom3107 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 12

As far as the icing, I always let mine come to roome temp before using it, otherwise mine is too stiff.
Thanks for the fridge info, Indy!! I sometimes refrigerate mine b/c the bakery I used to work at did iticon_sad.gif Now I know not to and to stick with the freezer. Much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Julie5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 12

Just realized in my original post I said "a few years later" obviously I mean hours. LOL. One reason I'm practicing with the refrigerating of the cakes is that I'm doing a wedding in October, and I don't want to be icing it the day of the wedding so I'm hoping to have it iced the night before. The wedding is early and I'm not all about waiting till the last minute to ice and finish, incase I screw it up and have to redo something. I was worried that the icing would be sloppy and melty if I let it set out all night though, hence the refrigeration. As for the crumb coat, I've read on this forum for a month before ever posting and have seen many, many people say they put a crumb coated cake in the refrigerator. That, along with a few books I have, is the reason I did that. My frosting and filling are the same this time, as I'm just practicing. They are about a 50 50 ration of butter to shortening. As I stated in my first post, I'm pretty sure some of my questions are gonna be stupid. Sorry.

Julie

2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

The only stupid question is the one that's not asked!!! How else are you going to learn? We all start out with those type of questions - go ahead and ask to your hearts content.

m1m Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 12

Could it be your buttercream?

I read in another post that the Whimsical Bakehouse Recipe is non crusting.

Julie5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

The only stupid question is the one that's not asked!!! How else are you going to learn? We all start out with those type of questions - go ahead and ask to your hearts content.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I know this forum is kind of for professionals, and I was really reluctant to post anything. Like I said I've been reading for a month without saying a word. Such a plethora of knowledge to take in. I bake for fun and am in general a pretty artsy person so I thought if given the right amount of time, could do this wedding in October and maybe get into cake decorating more and more. Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Julie

Julie5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

Could it be your buttercream?

I read in another post that the Whimsical Bakehouse Recipe is non crusting.

Yeah, its not a crusting buttercream. But I really didn't need it to be. I am not piping flowers or anything like that. Just trying to get a smooth application. The fist few cakes I made were with meringue buttercreams, which are my favorite and I liked their consistency and taste. The bride did not like the taste all that much. I think she was looking for something a little more traditional tasting, like crisco based icings. So I opted for the Whimsical bakehouse to try next, as its got both butter and crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%