Stacking Tiers: Underneath Board Question

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 4:31am by akgirl10

Elise87 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 11

Ok got a question about stacking cake tiers....

so i read somewhere that the boards under each teir are you be the exact size of the cake they are going underneath and then after that you ice it buttercream etc and maybe also some fondant on.....my question is won't the icing etc that is 'overhanging' the board stick to the tier underneath as well as get easily squished when lifting it off and on?

Also you can just cover the bottom and top of them in something like baking paper right? and you can just glue that onto the boards with glue?

thanks for anyone who can clear it up for me lol

10 replies
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Ok got a question about stacking cake tiers....

so i read somewhere that the boards under each teir are you be the exact size of the cake they are going underneath and then after that you ice it buttercream etc and maybe also some fondant on.....my question is won't the icing etc that is 'overhanging' the board stick to the tier underneath as well as get easily squished when lifting it off and on?

Also you can just cover the bottom and top of them in something like baking paper right? and you can just glue that onto the boards with glue?

thanks for anyone who can clear it up for me lol

Are you talking about using the cardboard cake boards? If so, I know some people use parchment paper but I dont' put anything on the cardboard cake boards between tiers. I do cut them a bit, so that they don't overhang, however. I'm sure others have different techniques....

tatorchip Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 11

Elise, when I put cake board down on bubble straws or dowels, I either put a boarder around to cover edge of the board or ribbon. I also cover the tier with fondant sometimes and cover the board edge also as part of the cake, if the cake and board are exactly the same size. HTH

redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 11

Elise I do the same as Tator....

denetteb Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 11

If I am making an 8 inch tier I put it on an 8 inch cardboard. However the 8 inch cake after baking ends up shrinking a hair and you end up with the cake a quarter inch or so smaller than the cardboard. Once you apply your buttercream and get to removing the excess as part of the smoothing process you can use the cardboard as a guide for your bench/dough scraper. I end up my final spin running the blade right along the cardboard. It ends up being the perfect thickness of buttercream, makes for a perfect, smooth circle. The tiny edge of cardboard that show is covered by my border. Not sure how it all works with fondant. I don't cover my cardboards. Some cover theirs with saran wrap, butcher paper, press n seal, etc. I wouldn't suggest gluing in case the odor would affect the cake.

leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #6 of 11

stands with denetteb. that's exactly how I do things!

Elise87 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:42am
post #7 of 11

thanks for the help everyone icon_smile.gif

I kinna confused myself cose i have never really mesaured the thickness of my buttercream and fondant so thought it might overhang the board but now i know I should have enough room to fit it all on the board (even fondant if i just reduce the buttercream slightly), that is why i was confused because i though if the cake and board were exactly the same size the buttercream + fondant thickness would exceed the board size and stick to the bottom tier icon_redface.gif

i am use to just poping the cake on a bigger board and icing it, i am new to stacking them lol

about the glue, i was actually told some people hot glue baking paper etc onto the board but i was unsure about that plus i don't have a hot glue gun so was just asking what other people do

denetteb Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 11

You probably wouldn't have a problem with odor with the glue gun, I was thinking of liquid glues. You also could use a double sided tape. But you don't have to cover with anything either.

sandy1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 11

I also have a question, if you don't cover the boards with cake foil, etc. won't the oils from the cake absorb into the board drying out the cake a bit?

denetteb Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #10 of 11

I haven't found that using an uncovered cake board causes a dried cake myself. To me the amount that soaks into the cardboard is insignificant to the whole cake.

akgirl10 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #11 of 11

If I'm doing fondant, it covers the board so now the board is part of the cake. I usually cover the boards with a fanci foil type thing. I'm always nervous that the cardboard will get a little soggy and cause an implosion. It's just an extra precaution, but it makes me feel a little less nervous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%