New Things To Come At Michaels..

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm by Jenn2179

TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 36

Hey everyone, as I've said before I'm a WMI and yesterday I was talking to my store manager at Michaels and he mentioned to me that the CriCut for cakes is going to be carried by Michaels. I didn't ask, and was acutally kinda surprised he heard about it. We are suppose to be carrying some gumpaste sheets for it too, or something like that.

He said the Cake one will be the same price as the scrapbooking one, around $400. And no you won't be able to use coupons on it.

I asked him about the Duff stuff, he seemed surprised I knew about it and said yes we are carrying it. All of the Michaels should have it, though some will have more than others.

Just thought I'd share what I had heard....

35 replies
aundrea Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 36

thanks for the info
when i was at the CTcake show last week they were demoing the cake cricut and also had the fondant sheets there. they are premade in a variety of colors. he said they should sell for about 15.00/sheet.
and it sucks because no coupons! errrr.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #3 of 36

When is this happening, just so I know when to bombard my local Michael's stores? LOL

And "Duff stuff"???? Apparently I'm WAY outta the loop...please elaborate???

TIA,
Scott

TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 36

Duff stuff - Ace of Cake's Duff Goldman has apparently partnered with a cake company and has come up with some cake stuff. I haven't seen it yet, but read about it here on CC. You may be able to find a couple of posts on it.

As far as when, well resets happen all the time, so I'm not sure exactly when. In the past the cake section has been updated around May/June, so I'd say probably around then, but you may see some of it before.

I've never paid much attention to the Cricut stuff, but I think that is one of the items that coupone has excluded for a long time. I'm not sure if you will be able to find deals on it online or anything, but I like seeing something like that in person before buying it. Just me when it comes to big purchases.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #5 of 36

Thanks much for the heads up! Will keep my eyes open for them!

redheadfairy2003 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 36

wow can't wait .... thanks for the info

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 36

I got a promo pac from DecoPac with the Duff stuff...I wasn't too impressed. I'm not going to stock it. It was colored fondant, gel colors, and decorating kits (just a few...they consisted I believe of premade fondant balls and accents, colors...something like that). The fondant was set to retail at about $20 for 2 lbs.

CakeandDazzle Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

I got a promo pac from DecoPac with the Duff stuff...I wasn't too impressed. I'm not going to stock it. It was colored fondant, gel colors, and decorating kits (just a few...they consisted I believe of premade fondant balls and accents, colors...something like that). The fondant was set to retail at about $20 for 2 lbs.

Wow I pay double that for 20lbs of fondant.... thats alot of money!

l80bug79 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 36

the decopac website has the stuff shown on there. like the thread above, gel paste colors, fondant and a couple of decorating sets for cakes. i'm sure that everyone will be "decorating Duff style" now. icon_smile.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 36

It was weird, though, the packs are all stuff that is very easily made, even by a novice...

rosiecast Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 36

Just to piggyback on what texas Sugar said- yes, Cricut has always been excluded from the coupons in all the stores: Michaels, Joanns, AC Moore and I believe Hobby Lobby also. But I'm sure that as with all things cricut the prices will go down in a couple of months.

JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 36

Thanks for the info, I'm going to ask at my Michaels tonite. I wanna see that cricut cake.

curiegas Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 36

What I am looking forward to is a different fondant than Wilton's. I usually order my fondant online but in an emergency I would like to have an option. Especially using coupons. Does anyone know what brand the Duff fondant will be?

Cecilia

KathysCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 36

Thanks for this info. I am going to Michaels next week and will definitely be looking, just out of curiosity...like I NEED more cake stuff!! icon_lol.gif

JulieMN Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #15 of 36

Thanks for the information!

costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

thanks for the info
when i was at the CTcake show last week they were demoing the cake cricut and also had the fondant sheets there. they are premade in a variety of colors. he said they should sell for about 15.00/sheet.
and it sucks because no coupons! errrr.

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif That's really expensive! What a crazy rip off! Slap a celebrity's name on a tub of Satinice and double the price! man oh man...

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 36

Actually the fondant sheets are with the Cricut and I don't think have anything to do with Duff.

I'm not sure if you can use the coupons with the sheets or not. I just know you won't be able to use it on the Cricut machine.

As far as the posters that said they were going next week to look for the stuff. You may get lucky since someone has posted that their store has Duff stuff, but my guess is that it probably won't be seen in all stores until we get closer to summer. My manager didn't know how much of it we were carrying yet, just that we were getting it.

CeeTee Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

It was weird, though, the packs are all stuff that is very easily made, even by a novice...

I saw the kits. They don't have everything you would need to make the cake exactly like the picture, mainly just the items to make a cake topper, and none of the gumpaste accents are colored. While I appreciate them making the kits to where they can be more customizable, the kits reccomend using an airbrush to color them, which makes me think their intended market is the serious hobbyist. You actually need some basic working knowledge of fondant and gumpaste in order to do them.

These are defintely not being marketed to the totally newbie novice decorators, but I'm afraid the craft stores are going to market them as such. I can just see a cake muggle buying one of those kits and quickly getting frustrated with coloring the gumpaste and having to make additional decorations in order to get the exact look of the kit.

traceyjade Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #19 of 36

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/goldman/goldman.htm
Here is a link to view the kits, hope it works icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #20 of 36

That link doesn't work.. it's pretty irritating when you try to help someone out by posting a link and it's blocked and it's equally irritating to know someone is trying to show you something but the link isn't allowed. What website is it from?

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 36

My guess is that the link is from the website that had issues with CC, and we are not allowed to post anything to or from their site because of legal issues.

Yane Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 36

Sugarcraft also has the products here is the link (remove the spaces!!!)

http://www.sugarcraft. com/catalog/misc/ goldman/goldman.htm

sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #24 of 36

Fun isn't it?

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #25 of 36

Hmm, well the one with the catalog in the link is the one for legal reasons.

The other, I don't know. If someone is looking google Duff Goldman decorating products.

sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #26 of 36

Thanks!... I guess there will be no website sharing now.

Dolledupcakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #27 of 36

No coupons, damn. icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #28 of 36

Found it through Google and those deco pacs are kind of skimpy on the amount of decorations for the price. I also wonder if those items are hard gum paste and will they be all broken bits?

TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #29 of 36

I think the fondant may be cool because of the larger size and precolored. The kits I'd pass on myself.

sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #30 of 36

Really because you can get a better per pound deal on fondant.. by buying a large bucket. It's almost twice the price per pound I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%