Shortening Or Butter (Or Both ? )

Baking By cookie_me Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm by cookie_me

cookie_me Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #1 of 11

I seen recipes that use half and half butter and shortening, claiming that the doug wont crack or crumble whe tryng to rolled it after taking it out of the fridge. I often wonder if when you take it out to rolled you wait till it comes to room temperture or use it cold icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
JGMB Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 11

I don't know about the half shortening/half butter thing -- the recipe I use takes all butter, but I do know that you definitely want to roll it out while it's still cold. The dough will start out a little stiff, but will soften as it warms up.

If it starts getting too soft, pop it back in the frig for a while longer.

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:43am
post #3 of 11

I agree, and you don't need much flour when rolling out cold dough.

Phyllis52 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 11

If you use half butter/half shortening, does it spread as much and how does it taste?

jobueno Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 11

You can do it both ways all butter or 50/50 butter/shortening. the idea is to roll out and cut your cookies place them on the cookie sheet and then place in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Then, straight to the oven. You'll prevent alot of spreading that way. HTH

cookie_me Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 11

Any body ever used a table like "coldstone Icecream " to keep the dough cold while rolling and cutting?

cookie_me Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 11

Ok here is the scoop> I made two batches using the NFSC recipe, one all butter and one half and half. laced both in the fridge for two days. pull them out for a while and started tu roll. The half and half was softer than the all butter , taste & taexture was good in both with the half and half yielding a softer cookie (I roll at 1/2") over all after baking the same amount of time. Now that being said they both spread and got bigger. I use silicone mats for the first time, is this the reason for the spreading. If any body knows how to cut down the spreading , please let me know.

PinkZiab Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by cookie_me

Any body ever used a table like "coldstone Icecream " to keep the dough cold while rolling and cutting?

I don't used a refrigerated/frozen block like they do, but granite/marble counters are a common site in traditional pastry shops, especially where things like croissants, tarts & puff pastry are made, for the very reason you stated: To keep the dough cool while rolling (also handy in chocolate making). Same principle would apply with cookie dough (or any other fat-based dough).

cvigil Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

I use the NFSC recipe. It is an all butter recipe. I have done it with half margerine and half butter. I noticed more spreading with the half and half recipe. I roll them out while soft between two pieces of waxed paper and set them on a baking stone int the fridge. They get cold faster and stay cold while cutting. I got my stone through Pampered chef. I don't like it for baking cookies but it works great for this.

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 11

i use all butter in both sugar cookies (cookie craft recipe) and the dark chocolate cookies (recipe here on CC).

i make my dough, roll it out to 1/4" on parchment THEN stick it in the fridge to firm up. never to soft to roll out. why would you want the aggravation of trying to roll out hard cookie dough, ack icon_smile.gif.

when firmed up a little, i take it out and cut my shapes, then back into the fridge it goes to get really really firm before going into the oven.

i don't freeze them because i find it usually leads to uneven baking (at least in my oven).

no baking powder in recipe, that will contribute to spread.

also, i think you will find you will have better luck minimizing spread by using parchment rather than a silpat.

cookie_me Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the input , as i said im using the NFSC recipe, sould I eliminate the baking powder all toghuether or just cut down the amount, as to the granite/marble counters Shhhh, my wife doesnt need encouragement to change the kitchen tops. Thanks guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%