Frozen "raw" Cake?!?

Decorating By lynda-bob Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm by DeeDelightful

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 8

I KNOW for a fact my cake was baked thru. I always test and retest before taking it out of the oven and even ate the scraps of a 12 in that I carved down to a 10". But the people I baked for called to complain it was raw. I am refunding their money and told them I'm 100% sure it was done, but that I freeze the cakes before decrating to ensure a moist cake. The texture is Different than a regulare cake. I feel defeated and confused. Do you ever have a problem w/ frozen cakes and people complaining they are too moist or RAW? I need some advice and consoling, please! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

I once froze a cake while it was still very warm and it sweated so much when cut it was gooey. I know lots of people do that with no problem but I had a problem Not sure if that was your issue or not but just thought I'd share.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 8

Did they have any cake leftover to show you? Seems really strange if they said your cake was raw and don't have any to show.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 8

hmm yeah, id look into it further before refunding if you are sure it was cooked through.. i havnt frozen a cake as yet.. actually will be freezing the two i have in the oven atm, so i couldnt comment on what may have gone wrong. but i defiantly think you should look into this further, unless they are a very very valuable customer of course!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #5 of 8

I had that problem once, a cake for my grandaughter. I had wrapped it while it was too hot and then put in the freezer and it was gooey almost like raw cake. I am not saying that is your problem but it was mine at the time.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

I KNOW for a fact my cake was baked thru. I always test and retest before taking it out of the oven and even ate the scraps of a 12 in that I carved down to a 10".

Think you were a little quick with the refund.

Was this a regular customer, if not then I feel you were scammed.

In the future, you might ask for the return of the unconsumed cake before a refund is given.

I freeze all types of cakes, and have never had a problem. Except when I tried the "freeze cake right out of the oven" method extolled by another member which resulted in a gummy (steamed) cake when it was thawed.

What cake did you make? If this wasn't your 1st time freezing it, then you should've have more faith in yourself. It's sad but not everyone is a straight shooter.

HTH

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, all. I do feel like I might have been scammed because I did ask for the left over cake. She said there was none left. I said that she could bring me any piece that someone didn't eat, because if she felt it was "raw", I wouldn't be letting anyone eat it. In the same breath, I told her she should feel SURE that no one was going to get sick because I KNOW it was done. I have scraps that we're eating at home. She said Her uncle bakes cakes, and he says it's raw. icon_confused.gif WTH? Why are they getting cake from me when family bakes?
Also, I didn't freeze it while hot, but I don't know if it was all the way defrosted before I frosted it. Could this be the problem? I've never sold to her before (and WON't ever again), but... Two other things to add, she's a referral from my 20 yr old niece who says they are no longer friends....OY VEy! So many things to consider here. I'm waiting for the girl to call me and tell me when she's coming for the refund. All this Shtuff happened yesterday at 5 pm. UGGG!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

Oh, if she has not come for the refund yet, you still have time. She would definitely have to produce something to show the cake was underdone. I don't think frosting it before it thaws completely will cause it to seem raw. That would affect the frosting moreso than the cake. I'd offer her a 25% refund at the most and it's a lesson for both of you. She can't get a refund for a blouse without bringing back the blouse. Same with cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%