Name The Cake Items You Can't Get In Foreign Countries....

Decorating By yeastconfection Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 9:50am by Evoir

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #1 of 72

Hey everyone! It is very interesting to me to hear about the items that caker's need and have no access to. Another poster from Spain just stated that she has no way to get Viva paper towels. What are some of the other items you would love to get your hands on and where do you live?

71 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 72

Pretty much everything except flour, eggs, sugar, icing sugar and milk

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #3 of 72

I just took a class with Debbie Brown (from England) and she said they have no rice krispies or marshmallows in England...could you believe that? I don't know what I'll do without rice krispies!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 72

im from australia and we dont have SMOOTH viva, we have viva with ripples.. imagine my dispappointment when i tried the viva method and ended up with imprints everywhere.. lol. we also have no criso or really shortening for that matter, no PLAIN WHITE marshmellows, so yes, i sit there separating bags of marshies.. haha.. which ends up with me eating my body weight in pink marshies..lol.

we dont have butter exract or anything of the bridal boquet or princess cookie stuff? its very hard to find good quality food colours if you dont want to spend a fortune or order from the internet ( i hate giving my details over the net) wooden dowels? yea, im still trying to find them.. as with bubble tea straws. cake boards to, they are very expensive here, luckily my mums fiance is a pastry chef and gets them for me. =) yipeee.

most tools are very hard to find; there are a few cake decorating shops around, but most are at the least 1 and half hours drive from me. ( and i dont live in a small town) our craft stores dont really stock cake decorating supplies.

we dont have the pudding mixes either, or meringue powder or separate egg whites.. or these yummy box mixes! we have box mixes, but not nearly as good flavours, mostly just standard white or chocolate, butter carrot.. o fudge or anything yummy. haha.

ive said it before and ill say it again. i am jealous of all those living in the us merely due to the fact you all have access to this stuff!

oh! and we dont have wilton classes! =( they are only offered through two shops in the whole of australia...

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

I just took a class with Debbie Brown (from England) and she said they have no rice krispies or marshmallows in England...could you believe that? I don't know what I'll do without rice krispies!!

Erm, yes they do! Has she tried the supermarket??

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 72

id say they call rice krispies something different.. they are called rice bubbles here.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #7 of 72

I have a couple of international friends, one in Aus and one in Nederlands and every once in awhile they order stuff, have it sent to my home and I box it all up and ship it to them. It's sewing stuff mostly, patterns, notions, fabric, etc. They say it's like Christmas. I never mind doing this for them.

kleenzac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kleenzac Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 72

I thought rice krispies were like marshmallows and rice bubbles (I'm from Australia). Like those LCM bar things. I didn't think we could get them here, although I'm sure they would be easy enough to make.

I hate not having shortening, although I do have a cake decorating store that I order from or visit and they have shortening and some other things that are American.

I would love to know of a VIVA alternative. I did the same thing noahsmummy when I first tried using VIVAs. I thought, this can't be right. Now I know, it wasn't!!

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Quote:

I thought rice krispies were like marshmallows and rice bubbles (I'm from Australia). Like those LCM bar things.

Me too...
I can't get ANYTHING here (small town) everything cake related I get from the internet, other than the basics; eggs, flour, sugar etc.

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #10 of 72

im pretty sure that rice the rice krispies are rice buubles.. or rice puffs.. and that rice krispie TREATS are the ones mixed with marshmallows? some from the u.s want to jump in? lol

and also, someone suggested greaseproof paper cant be sused instead of the SMOOTH viva... they said it didnt work as well, but at least that way we wont be left with ripples on the cakes! LOL. im giving it a go on thursday anyway.=)

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #11 of 72

Yep, RKT are rice with marshmallows. As far as the viva I have been thinking. It feels and looks almost like flannel with a shorter nap (fuzz) almost no fuzz. To me it actually feels like fabric. The only thing I can think of that is disposable that is "similar" is Charmin ultra strong toilet paper...lol..sorry maybe someone else can think of something.

Bunsen Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:44am
post #12 of 72

The plain cereal is Rice Krispies in the US and UK and Rice Bubbles in Australia, the chewy bars are Rice Krispie Treats in the US, Rice Krispie Squares in the UK and LCMs in Australia! Can you tell I've lived in all 3 countries? icon_wink.gif

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #13 of 72

Totally off topic... but, does anyone know what LCM stands for???

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #14 of 72

Noah's Mum - you REALLY need to start ordering stuff online - or get a C.OD. account with a supplier if you don't like using your CC online! I can get everything you mentioned, and also including Crisco (from Melbourne or Sydney). The other alternative is take a drive up the F3 and come to Cupids for a browse. You can look online at all the stock they keep. If there is something you need special, they can get it in! When you come up - let me know and I'll meet you for lunch or something icon_smile.gif

For the Australian market - all the stuff we need is available here.

With regard to Viva - a good alternative is that smooth non-perforated cream-coloured paper towel you get in some service stations or public restroom icon_wink.gif

I seriously have hundreds of favourite suppliers online for all manner of supplies, PLUS I also have mates in the USA who often forward me stuff that I can get shipped directly from the USA for whatever reason...where there's a will, there's a way!!

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:24am
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Pretty much everything except flour, eggs, sugar, icing sugar and milk

DITTO!! (actually i'd add butter to the above list!) I live in India....no sign of crisco and corn syrup here...absolutely no tools, dusts, paste colors etc... I order everything online from either the UK or the US.

The quality of CMC etc is so substandard here icon_sad.gif... icing sugar is always grainy.... I better stop now before I start sounding too whiney!!

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:25am
post #16 of 72

evoir... funny you mention cupids! im actually saving up to make a trip up there! lol. do you know if there is a train station near by? i dont trust my car on the freeway.. otherwise ill just wait for mum to get her new car and borrow that.. could be fun to take a brand newie for a spin. icon_wink.gif

oh thats a great idea for the paper towel! haha ill get my sister onto that.. i always get her to steal me the fat straws from the servo when she gets her slushies.. hahaha.. what are sisters for eh?

Bunsen Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:35am
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Noah's Mum - you REALLY need to start ordering stuff online

Totally agree - I buy nearly all my stuff online - I'm always finding new suppliers, and the other Aussies on here are so helpful, if there's anything you can't find I bet someone here will be able to tell you where you can get it!

noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:41am
post #18 of 72

lol, yeah i know.. im just frightened.. heard and seen to many stories that scare me. =( im just saving up some spending money for cupids, and then i will right! they look like they have a bit there! i DID recently find a pokey little shop nearby that sells some stuff; but they are very over priced and you have to tell the lady what you want and she gets it for you.. kinda like you would at a school canteen.. plus the lady was rude. i have a thing against rude business owners.. lol.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:46am
post #19 of 72

I live in Denmark and here is my list: shortening, cake flour, pudding mixes, flavoured coffee creamer, only vanilla and almond extracts, corn syrup, cream of tatar, canned pumpkin, cranberry sauce, and so much more that I can't remember at the moment.

But what bugs me most, is that I can't get hold of a cupcake courier icon_cry.gif All the places I've looked I have to pay more than the courier costs to have it shipped icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Oh, and unsalted butter costs a bloody fortune tapedshut.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:27am
post #20 of 72

I'm in Germany and yeah, there are quite a few things: Viva papertowels, double-acting baking powder (although I've found some online that seems to work), cream of tartar, Crisco (used to but they discontinued it), Rice Krispies (although I think they are available across the border in Switzerland), cake pans like in the US (and no square ones at all), and certainly some other things that I'll probably think of later.

A lot of it is available online but it's so expensive! Sometimes I can actually save money by ordering things in the UK and having them shipped. One example of that: cake drums. I really can't afford them on the German sites but in the UK they're not too bad. Probably still not as cheap as in the US, though.
Also, you can get the SPS system but not all parts of it. They have columns but not the elements you need to do stacked cakes. And at the price you pay, it's definitely NOT a disposable one.

You better believe my suitcases are full of caking things whenever I come back from the US. Although now with reduced luggage limits, that may have to change. Grrr....

jennicita Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:31am
post #21 of 72

Oh, and anything you consider a time-saver or convenience product, just assume that you won't find it in another culture or that it'll be so different, you won't be able to use it. Cake mixes, fillings and those flavored coffee creamers I keep reading about are prime examples.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:08am
post #22 of 72

Hi - Ratio shortening. (I mail order it from the states, but can only do it between Oct and April due to potential for it to spoil due to heat.) The shipping costs are nearly heart stopping.

BTW, I'm not sure what Debbie Brown is talking about. Rice Krispies are sold in the UK (under the same name). The only difference is the art used for the Snap, Krackle and Pop elves, pictured on the box, is different.
Marshmallows are also available, but usually in a mixed bag of pink and white. Just recently I've started to see all white bags (but smaller quantities) in both Tesco and Waitrose (two UK grocery chains).

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #23 of 72

hi, i am in the netherlands and i really miss cake flour and white margarine.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #24 of 72

Flavourings! in the UK they are so limited, I read on here about how you guys were putting this flavour and that oil in your cakes and we dont have any choice like that (or not that I can find anyway)

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #25 of 72

I agree with most that jennicita mentioned. Cake pans and decent flavourings are impossible to obtain. Most of the smaller and lighter specialty stuff gets ordered online from the UK, sometimes also US, but for pans the shipping costs are just prohibitive. There are some online-shops in Germany where you can get quite a few things by now (but only within the last year or so), but they usually only carry a limited number of things so it takes a lot of time, patience and shipping costs to get everything together.

@jennicita - cream of tartar = Weinsteinpulver, which can be found in the ususal cake-supply shops.

jennicita Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #26 of 72

@ de_montsoreau - I've asked around at the local stores but nobody had pure Weinstein - just in packets of baking powder. What kind of cake supply shops are you talking about? We don't have anything like that around here. I also looked in my Tortissimo catalog and couldn't find it. I get my baking powder from Hobbybäcker - maybe they have Weinstein? I'm not sure if I've checked there yet.
And yes, it takes forever to get everything together!

Including the time it takes to figure out that glycerine and some other ingredients are only available through the pharmacy! I get some strange looks when I go in. icon_smile.gif

It's all so much easier to find in the US!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #27 of 72

You might find it in DM Markets or in Apotheken

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #28 of 72

Im in South Africa and we dont have most of the Wilton stuff that you have. Im really jealous when I look at the US shops and see all those plates and pillars for a few $!!!!! The stuff we can get over here are ridiculously expensive!

Also cakemixes are terribly expensive, its much cheaper to bake from scratch!

On the up side we have JEM cutters in SA and also quite a few local people that make stunning moulds and metal cutters icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #29 of 72

[quote="noahsmummy"]evoir... funny you mention cupids! im actually saving up to make a trip up there! lol. do you know if there is a train station near by? i dont trust my car on the freeway.. otherwise ill just wait for mum to get her new car and borrow that.. could be fun to take a brand newie for a spin. icon_wink.gif

Abso-diddley-lutely, Noahsmummy...it is less than 200 metres walk down the street from the busiest train station in Newie, Broadmeadow Station. And its a super way to get here, too. I love getting the train down to Sydney etc. Hey - if you are interested in sometime doing a course at Cupids (you can do all sorts of stuff there!) you can book in and you'll get 10% off almost everything they have in stock (not GP or fondant I think). We've had a few ladies from the central coast come up on Mondays to do courses there (I know cos I had one in a class I took last year). Most classes run 2 to 2.5 hours every Monday from 10 - noonish, and go usually 6 - 8 weeks. Compared to MANY courses (ahem, Planet Cake) they are fantastic value. eg. $80 - $100 per course!! Of course, they get their money off you when you purchase cutters and such from the shop floor icon_wink.gif

Bunsen - you are so right...I reckon we need some kind of CC Aussie thread on the go, so we can all keep up with each other easier!!

Re: creamer ... Argh, I forgot about 'creamer'. That is the ONE thing we do not have in Australia!!!! But, you know, I reckon we could make our own using milk, coffee flavouring syrups and cream. Mmmmm, sounds good!!

Evoir Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

Flavourings! in the UK they are so limited, I read on here about how you guys were putting this flavour and that oil in your cakes and we dont have any choice like that (or not that I can find anyway)

Have you tried l;ooking in chocolate suppliers stores? I get quite a few of my flavourings from the chocolate section of my local supplier or cake decorating gear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%