Divine Intervention, Karma, Call It What You Will . . . .

Lounge By JGMB Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm by AverageMom

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 17

I'm on cloud 9!!!! I LOVE to bake -- I'd bake all day if I had reason to. However, my husband and I are empty nesters, so we don't need to eat sweets all day. Yesterday, I was absolutely itching to bake cookies, but resisted the urge.

Well, just this afternoon, I was at a gathering at our church. People from all over the area were there. A woman began talking to me at the coffee break about how she does prison ministry and that her group takes homebaked cookies to the inmates. She said that, to most people, it would be just a cookie, but that to the inmates, it shows that someone on the outside cares about them. I felt a chill go up my spine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She needs cookies, I love to bake cookies, what could be more perfect???

So, call it karma, fate, God (that's my choice icon_razz.gif ), whatever, but it just felt that I was MEANT to meet this woman. Again, I'm on cloud 9!!!

16 replies
yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 17

I'm gonna call it God too! That's awesome!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #3 of 17

I would never have thought of that as an outlet for all the baking, but it sounds perfect!! You get lots of practice and get to enjoy your craft but don't feel the guilt of having to eat it all - ideal situation!!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 17

Isn't it great the ministries that are around us? I bet homeless shelters or soup kitchens would enjoy those cookies also!

I'm happy for you!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 17

I'm with you on God interveining! thumbs_up.gif

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 17

Good for you! I am sure those inmates would be ever so grateful and appreciative. No matter what they did, they are still human beings in need of good soul interaction. God Bless you!!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 17

i love karma. =)

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #8 of 17

I'm so happy you found a way to do what you love and help other at the same time. I'd say God had a big hand in this one. : O )

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 17

my friend had me make some melted snowman cookies to wrap up and give out at christmas time. She ended up with about a dozen more then she ended up needing and she and her daughters went around giving them out to people she felt needed a pick me up . They went and gave them to homeless people waiting for the shelter to open up and she said their faces would light up and to see someone with next to nothing gingerly put it in their coat pocket affected her like crazy. She has this idea next year of doing it on a grand scale! We are going to make tons of cookies next year.

I am so happy for youicon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyone

my friend had me make some melted snowman cookies to wrap up and give out at christmas time. She ended up with about a dozen more then she ended up needing and she and her daughters went around giving them out to people she felt needed a pick me up . They went and gave them to homeless people waiting for the shelter to open up and she said their faces would light up and to see someone with next to nothing gingerly put it in their coat pocket affected her like crazy. She has this idea next year of doing it on a grand scale! We are going to make tons of cookies next year.

THAT sounds like a fantastic idea.. if you dont mind, i think id like to attempt something similar this year....=)

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #11 of 17

Instead of a secret santa that involves giving to one person or family.....we should all do this for whoever we think would benefit emotionally the most from it. Be it a homeless shelter, a woman's shelter, mental health hospital, inmates, the list could go on infinitely.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #12 of 17

Something I've really wanted to start is making treats for the kids at homeless shelters on their birthday. Money is tight for us right now, but we are still so much better off than so many. I guess I need to get my butt in gear and get started!! birthday.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:13am
post #13 of 17

that sounds like a great idea. just remember chisel cookies are frowned upon..LOL (this is a joke between me and a friend, she says her cookies come out so hard that you could saw through prison bars with them) she's so silly.

i am glad you found an outlet for your cookie desires! i think it was meant to be.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 17

Awsome!!!!!! God dose work in mysterious ways. Good luck with the baking and enjoy every minute of it icon_biggrin.gif

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyone

THAT sounds like a fantastic idea.. if you dont mind, i think id like to attempt something similar this year....=)

icon_smile.gif Of course- spread the love... and the cookiesicon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 17

That is really awesome! Baking and making people feel good is what it's all about!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #17 of 17

Sounds like a fabulous way to be kind to your fellow man, get some cookie making experience, and generally feel better about the world. I'm not much of a karma/god/mystical powers sort of person, but I'm glad you've found a creative outlet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%