Help! Cracks In Sheet Cake

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 2:26am by jammjenks

jadedlogic Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 6

I have 2 - 9x 13 sheet cakes that have a couple cracks in them, the cake is for tomorrow. They are only to be covered in buttercream with a couple fondant daisies, do I need to re bake them? I have already filled the cake.

5 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 6

My first thought is that gravity became your enemy. Did you trim them nice and level? If there was any roundness when you put them together, gravity would pull down on the edges that were unsupported, causing the cake to crack.

how severe is the crack?

jadedlogic Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 6

Each layer cracked while I was flipping it, the cracks are not that bad. They DO NOT span the width or length of the cake and the cracks in each layer are in different areas. The cakes are level and I put a dam and filled them and then once I put the layered them I pressed down evenly on the top of both cakes, and went around the join and filled any gaps in with buttercream and then smoothed that around the cake.
I hope this is making sense lol.

indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 6
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

Each layer cracked while I was flipping it

How do you flip your cakes? If your cake has a dome while you flip, I know why your cake is breaking. The corners of the cake are unsupported, so gravity is pulling the cake corners/edges/sides down. The cake needs to be laying perfectly flat ..... always.

Here's what I learned over the years:
- trim the cakes while they are in the pan, giving you a nice flat surface. Add'l trimming may be needed later .... I consider this the preliminary trim job.
- lay a cooling rack on top of the cake while stil in the pan.
- Hold rack onto the cake pan and flip the whole thing over.
- Sit rack on counter. Remove cake pan.
- QUICKLY place a second rack on the cak and flip the cake again so that it's sitting on it's flat 'bottom'.

You can do any subsequent trimming to make sure the cake is perfectly flat as needed later.

jadedlogic Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

The cake was slightly domed. Thank you so much for your help! I will def. take your advice for the next cake I do. I hope this one is okay since it is only buttercream on it and the cracks are not severe. Again, thank you!

jammjenks Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6

This one will be fine to go ahead and use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%