A Question About Vanilla?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm by Kims_cakes

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 15

For those of you who offer "plain" vanilla cake, what do you use to flavor it? I have not been real happy with my vanilla cakes. They taste good but not as flavorful as I would like (not like if I use almond or lemon). What kind of vanilla flavoring can I use that will make it better? Thanks!

14 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #2 of 15

Try to use real vanilla extract as opposed to imitation. Also, I know that some people use vanilla beans.

Marinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marinette Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 15

I use vanilla extract and cream bouquet.. It's like heaven!!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 15

I make my own vanilla...beans soaked in rum..., also always add a TBSP of amaretto.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 15

I make my own vanilla too. I use vodka though.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 15

REAL vanilla (pay the extra $$ and buy from a good spice source, not the grocery store - it's worth it!) and vanilla bean scrapings are what I use. I just bought some vanilla bean paste from Williams - Sonoma that I've tried once and I like it, too.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 15

Vanilla Bean Paste... soooooooo good!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #8 of 15

I saw the vanilla bean paste at a cooking store once. I almost bought it but didn't because it was over $30 for 32 ounces. I was wondering if that would have a more powerful vanilla flavor. It was marketed as either Tahitian or Madagascar vanilla. Anyone else use the paste and like it, or not?

I just use the real vanilla extract. I buy it from Sams because I can get a bigger bottle of it and I go through it so quickly.

SandiOh and Kims_cakes, where do you guys get your vanilla beans? I've bought them at the grocery store but they are $6 for one bean. Can you get them in bulk online? How exactly do you make your vanilla? How long do you soak the beans? How much alcohol? Do you have to cook it at all to extract the flavor?
Sorry for all the questions!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #9 of 15

You soak the beans(cut open lengthwise first) in a dark glass bottle. If the ones you have aren't that fresh or strong use 5-6- instead of just 3. You leave the bottle in a cool, dark place (not fridge) and shake every day. The vodka turns brown over time. After around 5-6 weeks you have heavenly homemade extract. When the bottle is nearly used up, you can refresh with more vodka once, perhaps add another pod, again let it sit. I have two bottles (o.75 litres) that I rotate.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:41am
post #10 of 15

I buy some of my vanilla beans from Costco, they have 2 tubes of about 8 each for $12...they only have them occasionally...so when they have them I snarf them up.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 15

Anyone else on where to buy vanilla beans that aren't too expensive? I am going to try that and some vanilla bean paste and see what I like better. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Ursula40 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 15

I bought mine on a German ebay site, have you tried ebay in the States?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Urusla!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 15

confectionsofahousewife, I've bought my vanilla beans from different places. The first time it was from Amazon, JR Mushrooms. I don't remember where the others came from. I just read lots of reviews about the beans before I placed an order. Happy vanilla brewing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%