?'s About Earline's Serving Chart...for Squares...

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 6

I am a little confused and second guessing myself...I just want to double check with everyone about her serving sizes...

It states a 6" square would serve 12...is that just one layer of cake or two with filling between...If I had a 4" high square would I double the serving #'s???

Thanks everyone

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

OK. LEt's do the math.

To get 12 pieces from a square, you'd have to cut the cake in 3 rows by 4 columns.

The side that is cut in 3 rows would have 2" cuts (6 divided by 3).
The side that is cut in 4 columns would have 1.5" cuts (6 divided by 4).

Standard serving size on a single layer cake is 2x2x2.
If yoru cake is single layer, you'd have 1.5x2x2.

Standard serving size on a 2-layer cake is 1x2x4.
If your cake is 2-layer, you'd have 1.5x2x4.

I've heard Earline's serving chart is more generous than the standard serving size, so I'd guess this is for a 2-layer cake.

BakeLoveMom Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 6

Well, I was interested in wedding cake servings, I was told to look at her chart and it was unclear to me how tall the cake in her charts were, jut a 2 layer??? That is why I was confused...for reference, her square chart states:

6"= 12 servings
8"= 24
10"=40
12"=60
14"=84

Normally for a wedding I do 3 or 4 layers of cake, I don't know I just got confused...I read her chart as saying 6" serves 12 people...if that is just 2 layers and I use 4 layers can I double the serving number to 48??? Thanks for your patience...Math was always my worst subject icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne_cakes

....if that is just 2 layers and I use 4 layers can I double the serving number to 48??? Thanks for your patience...Math was always my worst subject icon_smile.gif

making a cake taller doesn't necessarily give you more servings, it just gives you a taller slice of cake.

For example, draw a 6" square on a piece of paper. "Cut" it in 18 pieces, which would be a 1x2x4 (2 layer) piece of cake. ..... 6 rows by 3 columns.

If you make it taller (4 layers = 8" tall cake icon_eek.gif ), you're thinking you can cut this in 36 pieces. Try it on the piece of paper. Now THAT is a "paper thin" piece of cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Since the surface area is the same, then the cutting area is the same.

Bear in mind that most dessert/cake plates are about 6 or 7", so a 2-layer, four inch tall cake will fit nicely. A 6" tall cake (three 2" layers), by the time you add filling and icing, will probably overhang the dessert plate and not look attractive.

So if you're making taller cakes, be sure to know what size plates they are using.

By the way if you're providing a 6" tall cake, then you are providing 50% more cake per serving, ergo your per-serving price should be 50% more. A 4" tall cake that sells for $3/serving would be priced at $4.50/serving for a 6" tall cake (50% more cake ... 50% more money).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:37am
post #5 of 6

and that is why we love indydebi!

icon_smile.gif

BakeLoveMom Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I guess I should refer to a different chart...is Wilton's better??? Thanks so much...

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%