My Worst Nightmare. Cake Due A Day Early. (Long)

Decorating By cakesbyleila Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm by sandy1

cakesbyleila Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 12

The bride/birthday girl has ordered my cakes so many times in the past year that she wanted to let me have complete design freedom. She filled out the cake contract with me and decided on flavors and colors. She filled out the dates and when and where to be delivered. The contract and every other order form and email I had with her stated the delivery for the cake was the 20th of Feb. A saturday night delivery between 6-7 p.m.

Thursday before the event the baker baked all the layers I requested and put them in the walk in for me. On Friday, I worked fourteen hours with other orders and started on her cake around 2 in the afternoon. I iced all the cakes and piped the designs on them. My plan was to get up early saturday morning and paint the yellow designs with gold luster dust, add all the diamonds and put the supports in the cake. I left the bakery at 7:30 that night, went home and took a big dose of nyquil for the cold that was killing me.

At 10 pm that night (friday) I got a call from the birthday girls PR person wondering where the hell the cake was. Oh crap. I threw on my chefs coat hanging from my door knob for the next morning and some pants and shoes. No Bra no Socks. Way to look professional! The bakery is a good 45 minutes from my house so I was dialing everyone in my phone book trying to get help to get this cake ready and delivered.

The bakery chef (a cook with absolutely no cake experience) was the only one to answer my call for help. We arrived at the bakery at almost the same time and hurriedly put supports in the cake and threw everything in my car.

I didn't have time to box the cakes so I was driving like an old lady hoping my cakes wouldn't slide in the back. The cake was delivered and stacked with borders just as the guests started arriving for the after party.

Now 11:30 at night! There was no time to paint anything gold and the jewelry box and diamond necklace I sculpted were left at the bakery. OOPS!
I seriously felt like I was on a cake challenge and the clock was ticking down to zero. Hands up!

I am proud of what I accomplished in only 45 minutes. I have learned my lesson and now Call every bride the monday before the event and say "ok, so your cake is to be delivered at 7:00 on SATURDAY, right?"
What I don't understand is why they didn't call earlier if they wanted the cake there at 7. Did they not notice the empty table for 3 hours?
LL

11 replies
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 12

I hope you pointed out that when SHE filled out the contract SHE put the wrong date in there and you based yoru schedule on what SHE told you.

I had a similar thing happen. Fortunately it was a volunteer cake (I volunteered to make the cake for free .... very very small wedding). I'm 5 minutes from heading out the door with another cake delivery when groom calls (he's the friend I was dealing with) asking if I was on my way. To what, I asked?

He then tells me they moved the weddign up a week! I said, "Darlin' you have to TELL me stuff like that!" He says he sent me an email. I said, "Did you get a confirmation back that I got it? Because I didnt' get it." Turns out he sent it to my hotmail email instead of my biz email.

Now back then, I only checked my hotmail email about once every 10 days or so because EVERYONE knew I lived in my biz email and that was how to get ahold of me. Anything pertaining to BUSINESS needs to go thru the BUSINESS email.

Told him, "Well, I'm sorry but I have no cake for you. I have you on the schedule for NEXT week! The only thing I can think of....." and he interupted and said, "please don't say go to the grocery bakery!" I said, "Well, that's pretty much your only option with only 30 minutes before the wedding!"

I called a friend of mine who is a Justice of the Pease who WAS going to perform the wedding and told him what happened. He made me feel better when he said, "No, you're right .... that's the date they told ME, too!"

bakingpw Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 12

Nice job!! Good "reflexes" to respond that quickly and efficiently (even with Nyquill)

AngelaM Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post wrong, but when the PR person called why didn't you just tell them that the cake was ordered to be delivered on Saturday, not Friday?

That way instead of being upset with you because the cake was late, they should be praising you for jumping out of bed on THEIR mistake.

cakesbyleila Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 12

We haven't talked since the incident happened. However, I will definately point out HER mistake if it ever comes up. I am glad to know I am not alone in this horror. I felt guilty the whole night even though it wasn't my fault. I just hated that the cake wasn't how I had it sketched up. It would have been my best cake ever if I had the extra time to finish it! Oh, and by the way, the adrenaline killed all the effects of the nyquil!

indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyleila

We haven't talked since the incident happened. However, I will definately point out HER mistake if it ever comes up.

*IF* it comes up??????? icon_eek.gif

Oh, darlin', it definitely came up! It came up at every opportunity she had to tell people how her party was practically ruined because the cake lady FORGOT her cake and thank GOD she called you or there wouldn't have been any cake at all. ("See how I'm the big hero here? See how *I* got the cake to the party?"). It came up everytime someone asked about the cake and who made it. It will come up each time a friend asks "where can I get a cake?" and she replies "I can tell you where NOT to get one!"

Rest assured .... it definitely "came up".

JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:03am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyleila

We haven't talked since the incident happened. However, I will definately point out HER mistake if it ever comes up.

*IF* it comes up??????? icon_eek.gif

Oh, darlin', it definitely came up! It came up at every opportunity she had to tell people how her party was practically ruined because the cake lady FORGOT her cake and thank GOD she called you or there wouldn't have been any cake at all. ("See how I'm the big hero here? See how *I* got the cake to the party?"). It came up everytime someone asked about the cake and who made it. It will come up each time a friend asks "where can I get a cake?" and she replies "I can tell you where NOT to get one!"

Rest assured .... it definitely "came up".

For sure! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

And I'd tack on a hefty "RUSH" fee, too. tapedshut.gif

cakesbyleila Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 12

Ok, now i think I am going to throw up. I didn't even think about that! Ahhhh! What should I do?

minicuppie Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 12

A nice phone call to the recipient of the cake (NOT the PR person) asking how things went, didn't she just LOVE the design...you know. Then weave in a question about why she changed the date. I'll bet you it was her "PR" person that filled out all the paper work and bday girl signed without even looking. Remember...no excuses and I'm sorrys. Then contact the PR person about the rush fee. She will have to come clean about her mistake when she has to justify the extra money.

sandy1 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 12

I would definitely contact the bride and address the situation with her. Ask if she was pleased with the cake and explain that the date on the contract and emails were for Saturday not Friday. State you were pleased you could fulfill the last minute change. Let her know you were quite surprised the PR waited until 10:30 to notify you, if you had been notified sooner the cake would have arrived much earlier! I'm sure you will get some feedback as to what was said to her by the PR.

You were the savior not the problem!!!

Sandy

cakesbyleila Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #11 of 12

I received two thankyou cards in the mail this week. One from the PR person and one from the bride herself. Feeling much better. Thanks you guys.

sandy1 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 12

I'm so happy for you, icon_biggrin.gif . You certainly deserved the thank you note from the PR!!!
Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%