Technique Tips? (Photo Attached)

Decorating By KristiBrooke Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:44am by KristiBrooke

KristiBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristiBrooke Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 31

Hi cakers!

I had a friend email this pick, and would love for me to attempt a cake like it for her. She does not know where she 'saved' it from. Would like buttercream icing, fondant details.

I am stumped on how to do the fondant scroll/swirls...does anyone out there know of a cutter that could help in this?

Any tips to achieve the look are appreciated! I love this community!
Kristi
LL

30 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 31

It looks like the scrolls were piped. As far as a pattern, you could always print one out and pin prick it onto your cake and then pipe over the design. Gorgeous cake. Good luck!

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 31

The detailes on the cake look like they were cut with a cricut using gum paste.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 31

The details are slightly 3 dimensional, not flat and it looks like it was piped on by hand.

KristiBrooke Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks friends....I didn't even think it was free-handed....will give it a go =o)

Think if I ice it in buttercream, tack on the ribbon, then do buttercream scroll design on top of all....think that's a good plan?

Can't wait to try it!

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 31

Hmmm...I think I'd do the swirls in Royal Icing. It dries hard and there's less chance of them getting smeared. JMO.

Can I say that I LOVE the color combo of that blue with the brown! Beautiful combo.... you and your friend have good taste!

KristiBrooke Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 31

Thanks, jhay!

I've never done royal icing on top of buttercream.....is that a good idea?

LOVE all your input =o)

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 31

Yep, won't hurt it a bit.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 31

That looks hand piped. zoom it an you will see.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 31

My first thought when I saw the photo before scrollign down was chocolate. Make the pattern lay wax paper over it and hand pipe the chocolate and let it harden. I am fairly new so i could be wrong but that is probably what I would try.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 31

Hmmm. Is the ribbon cloth or fondant? If cloth, I would vote against piping BC on top of the ribbon because the grease from the icing would most likely spread out making a grease stain (a shade or two darker than the ribbon).

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 31

Jhay...not to hijack, but really?? you can pipe RI over BC and it won't turn to a big mushy mess?? I'm new to caking and trying to absorb as much info as possibe (LOVE CC) and I was under the impression the RI had to be dried before it could touch the BC. Good to know!!

tonedna Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyNic

Jhay...not to hijack, but really?? you can pipe RI over BC and it won't turn to a big mushy mess?? I'm new to caking and trying to absorb as much info as possibe (LOVE CC) and I was under the impression the RI had to be dried before it could touch the BC. Good to know!!

This is true, I have piped RI over buttercream with no problems.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #14 of 31

I have this cake saved to my favorites. Here's the link so hopefully you can get more info from the artist...hth

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490729

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #15 of 31

The scroll design definitely looks like it's piped with buttercream or royal icing...but definitely piped on... I think the pin pricking and then piping on idea will work.

Delynn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 31

If the scrolls were fondant, could you even stick them to BC, and if so, with what?

tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 31

You can stick scrolls with gumpaste glue extract or even a bit of water. You got to be careful with dark colors because the color can bleed so a little moisture
will be enough to stick. Once you place if you need to remove it will leave the color on the fondant. So make sure you place in the right place.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Delynn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 31

tonedna, you're speaking of attaching fondant to fondant? But can you attach fondant to buttercream? If so, with what?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #19 of 31

When the BC is soft, it should stick fine. If it's crusted BC you could try a little butter cream underneath.

tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

tonedna, you're speaking of attaching fondant to fondant? But can you attach fondant to buttercream? If so, with what?

I actually do it the same way with buttercream. I prefer working with
buttercream more than with fondant.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1493047
That is buttercream with fondant details.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 31

Just a thought here, but if you pipe buttercream onto ribbon, it may spread grease onto the ribbon. Try a section of ribbon prior to doing the whole thing, you may have to treat your ribbon somehow, maybe ironing with waxed paper would help.

Another thing, royal and grease do not mix. The grease from the buttercream may effect the royal. That is why you need all your utensils free from grease before even making buttercream.

I agree, this is where a cricut would come in handy.

tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Just a thought here, but if you pipe buttercream onto ribbon, it may spread grease onto the ribbon. Try a section of ribbon prior to doing the whole thing, you may have to treat your ribbon somehow, maybe ironing with waxed paper would help.

Another thing, royal and grease do not mix. The grease from the buttercream may effect the royal. That is why you need all your utensils free from grease before even making buttercream.

I agree, this is where a cricut would come in handy.

As a mix RI cant be done with anything that has grease in it, it does make the RI melt. Once its finished mixing you can pipe on top of buttercream. It wont melt but it wont harden either.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #23 of 31

might be the embossers/cutters... from S. Benison from GSA.. Anne (Pink Cake Box) also did something similar on Ultimate CakeOff and used cutters to achieve the look...

Anyone know of any good piping tutorials... I know M. Bommarito does hand pipping similar to that and it's amazing... I would love to learn how to....

Edna: I'm jealous!! u got CC Mag!!!! I still haven't gotten mine yet lol... wed. will get here...

Delynn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 31

Beautiful cake Edna! Those heavy scrolls on the bottom stayed put by just sticking them on w/BC? Did you have to use any particular consistency (thin, med. or stiff)?

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #25 of 31

if you goto the site that was posted from donnabugg the creator said she used chocolate butter creme icing piped on!! Pretty cake! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

might be the embossers/cutters... from S. Benison from .. Anne (Pink Cake Box) also did something similar on Ultimate CakeOff and used cutters to achieve the look...

Anyone know of any good piping tutorials... I know M. Bommarito does hand pipping similar to that and it's amazing... I would love to learn how to....

Edna: I'm jealous!! u got CC Mag!!!! I still haven't gotten mine yet lol... wed. will get here...

You will get it soon!!..Is really good! And I am not saying that cause Im in it.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

KristiBrooke Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #27 of 31

Wow...you all have given me SO much info to chew on as I think about this cake in July! Edna, I also prefer to work with buttercream, I ice all my cakes that way and only use fondant for accents. I have not worked much with royal icing.

Here is my next biggie...learning to stack a cake at home, do the finishing touches...THEN TRAVEL with it. That scares me. I usually do as much as I can at home, travel with the tiers separated...then stack on location and do finishing touches.

Anyone have input on that? =o)

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiBrooke

Wow...you all have given me SO much info to chew on as I think about this cake in July! Edna, I also prefer to work with buttercream, I ice all my cakes that way and only use fondant for accents. I have not worked much with royal icing.

Here is my next biggie...learning to stack a cake at home, do the finishing touches...THEN TRAVEL with it. That scares me. I usually do as much as I can at home, travel with the tiers separated...then stack on location and do finishing touches.

Anyone have input on that? =o)

I travel with my cakes stack. You got to make sure that they are well suported and know that they get heavy. Never tilt a cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #29 of 31

The scrolls almost look like chocolate piped onto the cake.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:31pm
post #30 of 31

is that the cake boards in between the layers????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%