Food Grade Markers

Decorating By rfeagin Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 7:27am by bejewelled

rfeagin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfeagin Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 26

What are the best markers to use for writing on fondant and where do you purchase them?

25 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 26

Americolor are definitely the best. I wouldn't even bother with Wilton. I tried them and they aren't good...

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 26

I've only used the Wilton they are ok , but I've not used the Americolor. I get the Wilton ones at Michaels and used the 40% off coupon.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 26

i'v got an americolor one and it's just fine thumbs_up.gif i heard wilton ones dry out faster

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i'v got an americolor one and it's just fine thumbs_up.gif i heard wilton ones dry out faster

I agree w/the drying out thing. I wont buy them anymore.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 26

I don't like the Wilton ones either. Mine seemed dry the moment I opened the package.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 26

Can't you just use non-toxic markers? They are non-toxic after all.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #8 of 26

Americolor markers are awesome. Wilton markers...not.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlssweet

Can't you just use non-toxic markers? They are non-toxic after all.

I've wondered that too. The tiny bit that you'd use and many times it's on something that someone wouldn't eat anyway.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:58am
post #10 of 26

I agree about the Wilton ones. Mine seemed dry the moment I opened them, especially the black. Also, don't forget that they need to be refrigerated after opening. I will never buy them again.

Elise87 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:04am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren715

I agree about the Wilton ones. Mine seemed dry the moment I opened them, especially the black. Also, don't forget that they need to be refrigerated after opening. I will never buy them again.

wait....do u mean all markers need to be refrigerated or just the wilton ones?? icon_confused.gif

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:09am
post #12 of 26

www.rainbowdust.co.uk have just put out some of the most amazing markers I've ever used, the fine nib is 0.5mm, super super fine. Over 20 colours int he range, double ended. They have agents that sell them in most countries.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:42am
post #13 of 26

bejewelled.................. those say wholesale only , that's another problem some of us have. I know the Americolor is probably better than Wilton their gels are. I've had my Wilton markers for two years and NEVER have had them act up on me. I use my black quite a bit. I must of gotten a fresh pack I guess.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:15pm
post #14 of 26

my oma got some from switzerland; shes had them for about 20 years and they still work! she used them to make the plaque for my sons christening last year.. ill try and find out what brand they are; i think they were quite expensive, but if they are going to last over 20 years.. well id say that would be worth the investment.. wouldnt you? icon_wink.gif

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren715

wait....do u mean all markers need to be refrigerated or just the wilton ones?? icon_confused.gif

I have the Wilton ones in front of me and nowhere does it say anything about refrigerating.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 26

I have bought the Wilton ones...horrible!! The Americolor ones are SOOO worth the extra $$$...
icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 26

mine dont require refridgerating either, perhaps thats whats drying them out.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 26

I agree, the Wilton's are horrible! Only one of the markers worked for me....and it wasn't very crisp, just faint. I tried the KopyKake ones and two of them didn't work at all, but at least were better than Wilton's. I guess I will give Americolor a try.
Anyone know of any tricks to get the markers to work? I think I heard of vinegar? Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing to lose on the markers that didn't work anyway.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 26

The Americolor ones have a different type tip than the Wilton ones - it's more like a brush-marker tip...does that make sense? I have several black ones, and they have never dried out on me, and I've written on fondant, RMBC, royal, modeling chocolate, you name it...and they still work great!!! icon_smile.gif

Tyrannde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyrannde Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraff

I have the Wilton ones in front of me and nowhere does it say anything about refrigerating.

I also have Wilton: Food Writer, and have had no problems with them.

The refrigerating part is right under the "Food Writer" , where it
talks bout it being FDA approve, it's long those lines icon_smile.gif HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 26

Only tried Americolor and Wilton, but Americolor are AWESOME! I have used them on all types of edible products. (fondant, buttercream, royal icing, gumpaste, edible images, etc..) and never had a problem. had them for 4-5 years now and none of them have dried out. I just keep them in my decorating drawer.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #22 of 26

On the back of my Wilton FoodWriter package it says:
Includes: Blue, Black, Green Yellow and Red markers. After use, wipe tip with a clean paper towel. Refrigerate marker.

They should have made the refrigerate part larger and bold.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #23 of 26

One thing I do with the markers (wilton and americolor, I have both) is to keep them in a container with the writing end down. None of mine have dried out, and they are over a year old.

Elise87 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #24 of 26

oops well i never refridgerated my americolour one, i didn't read anything about it thou but sounds odd to me.....oh well too late now lol yeh i just keep it in my cake box

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #25 of 26

When I was at the That Takes the Cake show in Austin, Nicolas Lodge was demonstrating and he said you could use Sharpie brand markers to write on gumpaste & fondant, that they were food safe. I have the Americolor ones and they work great, the wilton ones I had before didn't work well for me. I wish I had known about the Sharpie ones before I spent $20 bucks on the americolor.

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:27am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

bejewelled.................. those say wholesale only , that's another problem some of us have. I know the Americolor is probably better than Wilton their gels are. I've had my Wilton markers for two years and NEVER have had them act up on me. I use my black quite a bit. I must of gotten a fresh pack I guess.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the markers from Rainbow dust are available in many countries, you can ask them on that site for the distributor in your country - but it's a good site for you to check them out on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%