Extracts, Emulsions, Oils, Flavorings???...help!

Baking By menas Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 3:18am by Ivy383

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 14

I've only used extracts in my cakes, now I'm seeing all these products on cake supply sites. What's the difference? When do I use them? Can I use them together? Oh, what about wedding bouquet? Help cake gurus!!! icon_confused.gif

13 replies
menas Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 14

Everyone must be baking today, no replies yet! If some of you will post your favorite cake supply sites, I'd greatly appreciate it!

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 14

I tried the Lorann flavorings by shopping on eBay. The seller I used, mn77sota, color coded the flavorings, indicating which ones were oil or water based, which I thought were helpful. I also picked up some of the LoRann powdered food colorings which I love,love,love for coloring gumpaste.

A lot of the flavorings, including the LoRann and Wedding Bouquet are available from Global Sugar Arts. My limited experience with them has been awesome: good prices, quick turnaround on an order, reasonable shipping expenses (considering shipping is outrageous now.) They are based in NY and since you are on the East Coast, and it shouldn't take too long to get to you. (I'm on the West Coast and UPS ground takes almost a full week.)

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:39am
post #4 of 14

I'm also curious about all these different flavorings and emulsions. I'd never heard of emulsions before and I have no idea how to use them. Thanks for asking this question!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 14

I'm not very experienced with emulsions and oils but I have been trying them out lately...I started with some Lorann oils and used a few drops of rasberry in the fruit based rasberry filling I made for a WASC cake...it was supurb. It' didn;t have a fake berry taste and it really bumped up the raspberry flavor which is what I was looking for. I loved it so much that I then went online and ordered 10 other flavors..I'm looking forward to utilizing those in the future.
Just last week I got an order for Creme Bouquet, Princess emulsion and Buttavan. After ordering some Creme Bouquet, I was made aware that there are different companies that make "Creme Bouquet" flavoring and some people favor one over the other. I bought both and smelling them side by side, there is a difference.
I made a yellow cake with extender and used the Princess Emulsion (I think it's also made by Lorann) in place of almond extract. I also made buttercreme frosting and used the Princess emulsion in place of the almond extract. (I still used the vanilla extract as called for in both recipes). I liked the Princess emulsion, it was not overpowering, added a touch of lemon to both the cake and frosting. I'm eager to try the Creme bouquet..to me, it seems to have a hint of orange rather than lemon but I could be wrong.
To make a long story short, I have started to experiment with emulsions and use them as a partial replacement for the regular extracts...not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do but it seems to work out fine. Best of luck!

menas Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 14

Thanks nwnest & pinky73! Sounds like I need to experiment a little. Let me know how that cream bouquet works out for you pinky.

menas Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 14

Hi all! I still would like to hear some others share their knowledge on the whole emulsion, cream bouquet, oil topic. Had a couple of helpful comments but always looking for more! I love to experiment but it gets a little expensive so I thought there's so many experienced bakers here willing to help, I'll bring it up again! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 14

All flavoring, no matter what type serve the same purpose, it is just the consistency of the flavor what changes.

Extracts are liquid and when added in large quantities, will change the consistency of your batter and might affect the end result when baking.

An emulsion is of thick consistency, same strength as an extract but will not change the consistency of your batter as much. This is what most professional bakers like to use as it gives better results.

Oils are high-concentrate flavors, use only a few drops when replacing for a tsp of any extract. Be extremely careful when using cinnamon and peppermint oils as these are particularly strong.

As for Creme Bouquet, it is a combination of lemon and vanilla, Wedding Bouquet are a combination of lemon and almond.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions icon_smile.gif

menas Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks Gabby! That does help! And let me say I am blown away by your cakes! They are all amazing but the Nikon camera made me do a double take! This is what's so amazing about CC, talented people like yourself willing to help beginners like me. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 14

Ohhh, thank you Menas! You are too sweet!!! icon_biggrin.gif

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #11 of 14

Quick question...when using these flavors, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to how much to add. In other words, do you add emulsions by the teaspoon, by tablespoon, etc? I've been using the Princes Cookie & Cake...LOVE IT...makes my cakes taste like sugar cookie. However, up to this point, i've just added a little bit with no real measurement. Now, i'm making bigger cakes & i want to make sure that i can get the same flavor. I appreciate any help!!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #12 of 14

I always use 1:1 replacement ratio when using emulsions in place of extract. I also taste my batter, filling and icing as it is being made to make sure it is the taste that I want. I second the PP that said to use the oils sparingly. The are very strong! A recipe I was given for creme bouquet is 1/3 butter extract, 1/3 vanilla extract and 1/3 almond extract. This is my go to flavoring unless something else is specifically requested. HTH!

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by retaunton

I always use 1:1 replacement ratio when using emulsions in place of extract. I also taste my batter, filling and icing as it is being made to make sure it is the taste that I want. I second the PP that said to use the oils sparingly. The are very strong! A recipe I was given for creme bouquet is 1/3 butter extract, 1/3 vanilla extract and 1/3 almond extract. This is my go to flavoring unless something else is specifically requested. HTH!

I agree about the oils...they are very strong. I really like using emulsions, but i was told not to use emulsions for buttercreams because they're too oily...havent tried it yet. Ok, well, i just made a better for a 12" cake...had to use a box mix icon_redface.gif because it's a quicky cake. I used a tablespoon of Princess flavoring & it wasn't enough...i believe the "vanilla" flavor of the cake mix was a bit strong. So i added 1 tsp...it taste decent. Well, thanks for the help & thanks for the "creme bouquet" recipe thumbs_up.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #14 of 14

I love the Lorann oils. I really want to try emulsions and all the others listed. They sound good icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%