Royal Icing Transfer

Decorating By cupcakeshelley Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm by cupcakeshelley

cupcakeshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeshelley Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 9

Hi I am just beginning and everything I have learnt is from youtube etc. However, I would really like to do a royal icing transfer and have it standing up on a cake like the picture above which is by cakehelp here on cakecentral. Could anyone please explain in simple terms how I do this?

Thanks So much x x

8 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 9

Basically take stiff consistancy royal and pipe all of your outlines. Then work with one color at a time and thin it until it takes about a 10 second count for a drop of icing to completely disapper into the thinned batch. Put in a parchment cone and seal up the back. Make a small snip so that you have a small hole in the tip of the parcment for the icing to flow out of and start filling in your pattern. I recomend working from the outline edges towards the center. You want to work quickly enough for the royal not to dry before you are done filling in so it all blends well.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

When you use dark colors for the outline, you should let it dry longer, right cake-angel? Do you know how long? And how long total does it need to dry?

I'm wanting to do a baseball logo in this technique and I need help too icon_lol.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 9

If you are using dark colors to outline you will want to wait until the outline is dry to the touch. Really 10 to 15 minutes will be more than enough for the outline. You do want to be sure that there are no breaks or low points in your outline though as these will allow the flowed in icing to run under or over the outline. Use a slightly damp soft bristled decorators brush to smooth together any breaks and to make sure your outline is attached to the waxed paper that you are piping on. Be careful as too much water will disolve your outline. Then flow in your sections with the desired colors. Drying time depends on the size of the piece. It is advisable to pipe some test puddles - about 2 - 3 (blobs of flow in) that match the depth of your piece. The larger the piece the larger the test puddle. These puddles are used to test for dryness of the piece. Remove a puddle and see if it is dry to the bottom if it isn't your piece isn't dry either. I would absolutely give the piece 48 hours to dry before I even checked as that is the average dry time for most pieces. Larger pieces will take longer.

I hope this helps!
Happy Caking!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 9

I always make a duplicate piece as well. I'm somewhat clumsy and have broken several small fragile pieces trying to remove them from the wax paper. It's always good to have a backup since it will be the focal point of the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 9

This might help as well...

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Color-Flow-Decorations

I use plastic page protectors taped to a cake board for these.

I'd say atleast 48 hours on the drying though it will depend on the weather. You can also put them under a desk lamp or in a oven with just the light on to dry them faster. Be sure to put a note on the oven knob to remind yourself and others that it is in there.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 9

Im needing mine to dry very soon, I made them last night and still they are sticky and if I move them, they are soft, and crack some...where it did dry. I had to "cheat" on the Superman, I took a blade and cut the outline of the design and moved the whole Superman with the wax paper on the back...its for my daug. but still...HELP...

how do I dry it FAST? I read you can put them in the Oven?? If so what temp and how long?

Tks!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 9

You just use the oven light, not actually turning on the oven. And it varies based on the size of the piece. I usually dry my stuff over night, so I'm not watching the clock to see how long it takes.

Just leaving them out to air dry it usually takes atleast 48 hours.

cupcakeshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeshelley Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all your advice! x x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%