Which One You Like Better With Your Buttercream?

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 1:09am by JaeRodriguez

miasuzzette Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 6

icon_surprised.gif When making your Buttercream, Do You like Butter Only or Shortening or Both? Which is better?

Thanks for looking and responding... Have a Good one thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
cake-angel Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #2 of 6

Depends on what you want to do. If it is really hot and humid (which where I live is rare) I would go all shortening or at least 75% shortening for stability of the icing. My standard is 50% butter and 50% shortening. I get really good results with that and the stability is pretty good as well. In winter I will use all butter sometimes as I don't need to worry about humidity or heat then. My favorite is the 50/50 blend because I find I get good flavor without worrying as much about the icing melting if it gets a bit warm.

brandywinecakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 6

I prefer butter. I think it tastes better. It's just hard to get snow white icing when using butter alone, so I seldom use it.

Elise87 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #4 of 6

i only use butter cose i just always have and also because i don't want to eat shortening lol

but yeh like brandywinecakes said, you can't really get a good white colour to it, so i etiher colour it or just add some wilton white white colouring to it and just lighten it up the best i can icon_smile.gif

anotherslice Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 6

I prefer all butter for the taste. I don't mind that the buttercream is an ivory color.

JaeRodriguez Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

Mmmm BUTTER! :] But I use Indydebi's BC and I still use half shortening half butter, I love it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%