Where Have All My Cc Buddies Gone?

Lounge By kellertur Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:52am by kellertur

kate6207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate6207 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #91 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

But aren't you the same one to say "ignore". And what you may interpret as mean, others see as direct. And that in there lies the problem. We all don't see things the same way and we all don't phrase things the same way. Have I seen smart a$$, sure, but flat out mean? No.

Totally agree. I think it is pretty clear from this thread that there are people on here who didn't think that all the people banned were mean spirited and the root cause of all the drama. Frankly, I appreciated the directness of some of those members.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #92 of 121
Quote:

And the other factor is EVERYONE is an adult on here.

Afraid you're stating facts, not in evidence. CC does have members who are minors:
(Post from 13 year old CC member. Don't know that she is the youngest - but she definitely isn't an adult.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640502-13.html

HTH

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:13pm
post #93 of 121

Yeah, got that. And every minor on here let's everyone know they are minors and they do get treated as such. But, in general, and what I'm talking about, the adults on here are gong to be treated like adults.

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #94 of 121

Lol! We call those people "weepers" on another forum. I am an artist in other mediums, and every once in awhile, the medium I speak of gets a popularity boost by the media, and a lot of people come out of the woodwork with their store bought kits wanting us to tell them how to make their art "look like ours".

We tell them it won't. Ever. Get real equipment, study the craft for the 10+ years we've been doing it, and come back when you know what you are doing.

Weepers on every type of forum. It's too bad they usually get the molly coddling. Site owners gotta make money and look like roses though, it's just the nature of the corporate beast.

cammyblake1 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #95 of 121

Jan-was that member asked to prove her age? I would not feel comfy as a site owner allowing access to a teenager on a site where most people are 18 and older.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #96 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

Quote:
Quote:

This is site is what it is, cause of the people on here, not just cause of the people who own it.

This is absolutely true, it takes a combination of the two to make this place special.

Quote:
Quote:

And as I recall if we click , they get a percentage of that order. Hence, why we can't mention other cake supply sites.

While it is true that helps to keep this site freely available, it is completely untrue that other vendors are banned because of this relationship. The only vendors that are blocked on CC are vendors that have spammed this forum at some point.

Quote:
Quote:

I love how everyone just thinks so freely for themselves. And there is no personal attacks, no ugliness, just stating the obvious.

I agree that it is wonderful when people do share freely, but to suggest that there are no personal attacks or ugliness is just plain wrong.

-----

No matter what choices we make as moderators, someone will be unhappy with our decisions. All we can do is use our best judgment to decide who is participating in the community in a way consistent with our rules and goals, and who is serving their own agenda in conflict with the mission of cake central.

It is never a pleasant thing for us to ban anyone, we want everyone to be able to enjoy cake central. But we cannot abide members who ruin the experience for others, or those to actively belittle our admins or moderators, or the policies of this website.

Sometimes a person can be both an asset in terms of knowledge, but a liability in how they communicate it, or an undermining force in the mission of Cake Central. Sometimes the problems occur publicly, sometimes the final straw is in a personal communication between a moderator or admin and the member.

Ultimately we do not look for opportunities to ban people, losing good members does not serve to further the goals of the community, so when someone does get banned, it is a sad day for us as well.

thumbs_up.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #97 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

I think the reason so many threads about legal/non legal, pricing and the likes get so heated is because people don't like to be told how to do things as everyone has the right to think they are doing it right.

The problem when you get 1000s of people in one community is personallities get mixed and straight talking people seem to get taken the wrong way as emotion and meaning get missed in words. There are no facial expressions to be read and no tone of voice to be heard.

I agree with labellaflor about sites like this not beinga ble to exist without the knowlege and willingness of people with experience. If it became a site full of newbie cakers there would be very little advice being offered.

I have noticed over the last week that fewer threads are getting responses because people either are unable to offer an answer or just not frequenting the boards.

If 90% of people have trouble with 3% of the people then they aren't being helpful they are being hurtful.

There have always been lots of unanswered posts since I've been here but answering a post with "here we go again" isn't an answer or "why would do something that stupid" isn't really a question. If you think people didn't expect drama from a few then why did I read this so many time "I'm getting the popcorn" etc. It certainly wasn't because they expected civil constructive critism it's because they expected the confrontation and it was entertaining to them, which I never understood. How many newbies got their heads handed to them for asking a "stupid" question. It's just wrong in my opinion.

This site will never be a site full of newbies. There are new experienced people coming all the time and the newbies become experienced over time.

But the posts that HAVE been made have been drama free, including this one for the most part....YAY!

thumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #98 of 121
Quote:

Yeah, got that. And every minor on here let's everyone know they are minors and they do get treated as such.

I don't think that's a hypothesis that we can assume is 100% accurate. We only know what posters tell us and if they don't choose to share their age, we simply don't know...

And if the minor only chooses to lurk, we'll never know they're participating (at their own comfort level).

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #99 of 121

So are you saying we should treat everyone like they are 13?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #100 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots83

lol ok it's like a trainwreck I came back to "peek".

What's amusing to me is that the people that are "relieved that there is less drama" are actually inflicting drama into this thread.
Perhaps we should follow our own advice and stop fueling the fire. This is now so off topic it's ridiculous.

Thank you, I wholeheartedly agree...it does seem like some members are using the guise of "keeping down drama" to stir emotions up in here...
If you disagree with my origional question, I can respect that...(I was not challenging CC policy in any way)... BUT if your intention is just to "slam" everyone and generalize...please post elsewhere. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #101 of 121
Quote:

So are you saying we should treat everyone like they are 13?

I'm positing that your statements advising that CC is only viewed by adults isn't accurate. Because minors can lurk, and minors can post (as illustrated) or post without advising of their age.

If your postings should be modified because your assumptions weren't valid is entirely up to you.

JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #102 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

Jan-was that member asked to prove her age? I would not feel comfy as a site owner allowing access to a teenager on a site where most people are 18 and older.

CC allows minors to be members.

Any other questions/concerns about this policy should be directed to the site administrators.

cammyblake1 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #103 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

CC allows minors to be members.

Any other questions/concerns about this policy should be directed to the site administrators.

I have no questions. Internet chat rooms (of which this a glorified version of), are the best place for people to pick up on children. Including people who say they are minors in the hopes of attracting other minors. I couldn't care less what the policies are, just making an observation.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #104 of 121

Cammy I so agree with your statement, I would totaly freak if I found any of my kids in a place like this.

I just totally can not understand why when someone makes a statement or puts across an opinion someone has to jump on it and accuse them of being mean or causing a drama icon_confused.gif

patriots83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriots83 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #105 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy2958

Quote:

But aren't you the same one to say "ignore". And what you may interpret as mean, others see as direct. And that in there lies the problem. We all don't see things the same way and we all don't phrase things the same way. Have I seen smart a$$, sure, but flat out mean? No.

Totally agree. I think it is pretty clear from this thread that there are people on here who didn't think that all the people banned were mean spirited and the root cause of all the drama. Frankly, I appreciated the directness of some of those members.

It's very clear!

It would be a pretty boring "Stepford wife" world if everyone were programmed the same, wouldn't it?

ethanriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethanriley Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #106 of 121

I have read this post and the other 2 posts that have been locked and did not take offense to anything that was said by anyone. I found and find everything quite amusing...i have always like reading the forums on this site...although most of them now are missing a little something...i enjoyed the cheekyness of some of the forums...I guess when you have so many people in one place not everyone is going to agree...too bad some members had to pay the price...they were the ones who's posts I enjoyed reading...oh well I guess life will still go on...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:27am
post #107 of 121
Quote:

Cammy I so agree with your statement, I would totaly freak if I found any of my kids in a place like this.

I just totally can not understand why when someone makes a statement or puts across an opinion someone has to jump on it and accuse them of being mean or causing a drama icon_confused.gif

I'm asking nicely, I promise. icon_smile.gif
What do you mean, "a place like this?" A website about cake baking and decorating?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:08am
post #108 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

"I'm getting the popcorn"!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh that would be me

Chores were done, caking completed - nothing on telllie - DH away - so i found it quite comfortable sitting back with my popcorn and reading what was unfolding in another time zone

Sometimes it is just like being at the movies -
Just when you think you know the ending *pftttt* someone comes swooping in from left field claiming to know all, and one sits here thinking WT???

You know its going to get ugly - and by the time you wake and venture into the study to see whats happening *poof* its gone....and you just know there is someone *out there* licking their wounds.

I think what some need to remember is that just because they have been using wooden spoons for years doesn't give them the right to wave it at others.

Bluehue -

Edited to add: - and the Lounge is a very comfortable place to relax and eat popcorn - as it should be - Even the busiest caker has to take time out and curl up with some popcorn -

rainbow_kisses Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:14pm
post #109 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Quote:

What do you mean, "a place like this?" A website about cake baking and decorating?

No sorry I did not just mean a cake forum just a forum site in general, somewhere where anyone can lurk, where anything can be said and PMing can take place without being noticed. If my kids where on here and revieled their ages who knows who could be lurking and PMing them. No one ever knows what others are interested in
I have passwords and login details for my kids computers and as we are networked I get to access everything they do on their computers and try to keep them clued up about online activities but there will come a time when they want to venture further. I know that. icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #110 of 121
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Quote:

No sorry I did not just mean a cake forum just a forum site in general, somewhere where anyone can lurk, where anything can be said and PMing can take place without being noticed. If my kids where on here and revieled their ages who knows who could be lurking and PMing them. No one ever knows what others are interested in
I have passwords and login details for my kids computers and as we are networked I get to access everything they do on their computers and try to keep them clued up about online activities but there will come a time when they want to venture further. I know that. icon_wink.gif

I find it totally jaw dropping that there are so many avatars on here of children - something that is broadcast time and time again by police/child protection etc...- don't put your children on display to the world. because you will never know where their photo will end up and on who's screen saver they will be highlighted.

Many think *oh, its just a cake forum* when in actual fact it is a window to the world and for all the worLd to look through.

Facts show that the first place a preditor will lurk is on a womens networking sight - and sorry to the males here - but it would have to be 75% females on here - if we are to believe the names and photos attached.

I know of two forums that will not allow childrens photos to be used as avatars - very wise indeed.

Bluehue.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #111 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I find it totally jaw dropping that there are so many avatars on here of children - something that is broadcast time and time again by police/child protection etc...- don't put your children on display to the world. because you will never know where their photo will end up and on who's screen saver they will be highlighted.

Many think *oh, its just a cake forum* when in actual fact it is a window to the world and for all the worLd to look through.

Facts show that the first place a preditor will lurk is on a womens networking sight - and sorry to the males here - but it would have to be 75% females on here - if we are to believe the names and photos attached.

I know of two forums that will not allow childrens photos to be used as avatars - very wise indeed.

Bluehue.

I used to be worried about putting pictures of my kids online, but eventually I got to the point where I wanted out-of-town family and friends to be able to see pictures of them without me printing and mailing them. I don't have a picture of them as my avatar because I'm past the stage of my life where they were the only thing that defined me but I don't worry about having pictures of them out there.

rainbow_kisses Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #112 of 121

Bluehue that is exactly what I was thinking. I will admit I do have pics of my kids on facebook but my pages are all compleatly secures as to the point if you search my name I don't show up. I have to know you or know of you before I accept you.
As adults we can choose what sites we look at and what forums we join and should be mature enough to walk away if we dislike a situation.
I choose not to have an avitar as I feel there is little need for one.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #113 of 121

I've not read the recent posts since my last post yesterday, however something in another thread caught my attention and I feel I need to clarify so words are not put in my mouth...

FOR THE RECORD~ I did not in any way write that anyone disagreeing with me should go somewhere else... I wrote: if you are going to bash and generalize and claim you're "not causing drama" please go someplace else. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #114 of 121
Quote:

Bluehue that is exactly what I was thinking. I will admit I do have pics of my kids on facebook but my pages are all compleatly secures as to the point if you search my name I don't show up. I have to know you or know of you before I accept you.
As adults we can choose what sites we look at and what forums we join and should be mature enough to walk away if we dislike a situation.

I choose not to have an avitar as I feel there is little need for one.
Mine just wouldn't load because it was too large - so i toddled off and made a cake instead - icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Goodgrief - this thread has gone way off topic hasn't it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Guess i can put my popcorn away icon_wink.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #115 of 121

Thanks for clearing that up, scrummymummy. My kids are now adults so sometimes I forget the precautions we used to take when they were little when the computer first came into the house.

rainbow_kisses Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #116 of 121

Blue it has gone totally off topic icon_lol.gif
Cheatize no problem icon_biggrin.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #117 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

........I know of two forums that will not allow childrens photos to be used as avatars - very wise indeed.

Bluehue.

i have no issue with kiddies in avatars... seriously, if some sicko is going to get his jollies form a 1" x 1" pic when there is a world of available high resolution photos out there then there is nothing a parent can do to protect their child because bad resolution pics can be taken just by walking thru a shopping mall and you will never know about it

as far as the OP, as a newb i enjoyed reading some of the banned members posts and are sorry they are no longer here - i like to the point and humor posts but i sugggest that i thought one member seemed a little bit burnt out and maybe need a time out, not a banning but a break. im a mod on a scuba board and i see that alot, you can only answer the basic newbie questions so often before it starts to do your head in

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #118 of 121

The topic is "where have all my CC buddies gone?"
I too miss the ones that have gone - they added so much to this forum and made it interesting and now it's same old, same old. This place has changed so much in the year that I have been a member so many of the original members are gone and now the latest incident - hummm just so sad.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #119 of 121

I'm very new to this forum, but just two days ago I was looking through the posts and came across two (I don't know if either were the ones being referenced here) posts that I found really off putting.

I'm not familiar with the members who were banned, so I don't know if it was one of them, but for me, it wasn't what they were saying, but how they were saying it. There is a way to give advice (even unsolicited) that isn't rude or condescending. JMO

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #120 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

I'm very new to this forum, but just two days ago I was looking through the posts and came across two (I don't know if either were the ones being referenced here) posts that I found really off putting.

I'm not familiar with the members who were banned, so I don't know if it was one of them, but for me, it wasn't what they were saying, but how they were saying it. There is a way to give advice (even unsolicited) that isn't rude or condescending. JMO

One of the big issues here is that it's really difficult to tell what the tone of someone's post is when reading it, and that a lot of the time people are offended when no offense is intended. Reading through old threads and trying to figure out who was banned is probably not going to help anyone figure anything out...any threads that have been a real issue have usually been deleted.

The day that these people were banned, I was reading the posts as they were being made and there was nothing offensive directed toward other members of the forums in what was being said. Things were said that could be objectionable to the site owners who are totally within their rights to ban anyone who they wish, but please don't assume that the people banned that day were banned for being rude.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%