Icing Spatula/applicator (Bondi Applicator??)

Decorating By Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm by denetteb

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 6

HI! I have seen on the cake decorating shows where they use a small applicator to put icing on the cakes. It looks like a Bondi applicator (plastic applicator to put rust filler in on cars). Does anyone know what this is called and where I can get one? It would help soooo much in making my cakes soooo much smoother !!! Thanks so much!! Tonia

5 replies
dsilvest Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:46am
post #2 of 6

I bought some at a dollar store. Don't know what they are called though.

denetteb Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

I don't have cable so don't see the cake shows but are you maybe talking about a bench scraper? A straight metal blade, some have a wood or metal handle? Those are available at almost any store with kitchen utensils, they are marketed for use in scraping dough off the work surface. I also use a 4 inch wide putty knife from a hardware store. Mine is all plastic but there are different models and materials. You might also look in the fiberglass areas, they would have wide plastic blades also. By the way, using the bench scraper and putty knife made a MASSIVE difference in smoothing my cake sides. Just run the edge along the cardboard and you have your guide for the blade and it is so much easier to see what you are doing and control the blade than an icing spatula.

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 6

So it is ok to buy stuff in the hardware department for cake decorating? Just making sure before I go out and buy!! icon_smile.gif

q2wheels Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 6

My husband works at an auto parts store and I have a few plastic Bondo blades/scapers, different sizes. I love them!

denetteb Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

I suppose there could be some concern for using hardware store items since they aren't manufactured as food grade. I only bake for family and friends and the items are in contact for such a brief time that it personally doesn't concern me. If you are concerned, stick to the bench scraper which is a kitchen item and readily available. I have seen them at some dollar stores also. I use the metal bench/dough scraper primarily and use my plastic putty knife when using a glass plate with a lip as I cut a notch out so it goes over the lip yet scrapes down to the cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%