Torting And Leveling A Cake For Tiers?

Decorating By MGCmom Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm by MGCmom

MGCmom Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 7

What is the best way to tort and level a cake to get it even? How do I prevent it from shifting? I did my first tiered cake not that long ago and the top tier (6" round) shifted a little so it wasn't quite right. I am just getting in to cake decorating and am loving it so far. I am doing a wedding cake for my friend in Sept. and want to get it right before then and I am a little bit of a perfectionist. Would love any help! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:59am
post #2 of 7

i just use a serated knife straight through the middle.. iand cut off the top hump. im not sure if there a re any little tricks, but if you use bake even strips apparently that will leave you with a flat top so you wont have to level....hth

vigan-t Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:11am
post #3 of 7

Hey MGCmom. there are also many different cake levelers which are not to expensive and make leveling and torting much easier. Just type "cake leveler into google and you'll find them.

suzied Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:17am
post #4 of 7

Another CC viewer recommended using flower nails in the cake when baking. Just place it into the cake, point sticking up (Dont forget to get it out before icing) . I tried it . It was some what ok. I think i should add a few more to see if it realllllllllllllllllly works. I made an 8" round. I think i should have added atleast two more flower nails in it. If you do have to cut off any cake always use a serrated knife.

MGCmom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I will see how the next cake turns out this weekend. Three tiers here we come!

drakegore Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 7

i like cake strips so i don't have to cut the top to level.

when i torte, i stick toothpicks at the measured height and then start cutting.

the affordable wilton levelers don't work so well (in my experience) and i find toothpick guides a cheap and easy way to get nice even layers. the cake levelers that do work are pretty spendy.

diane

MGCmom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 7

Toothpicks. Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. Baking starts tomorrow for the 3 tiered birthday cake for my husband's Grandma's 80th party. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%