Satin Ice And Cracking...help!

Decorating By lreyna25 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm by Bfisher2

lreyna25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lreyna25 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 12

I am not quite sure where to begin...I read all the suggestions (on this website) about Satin Ice and how to avoid cracking when covering an entire cake. I added crisco (supposedly to avoid elephant skin and cracking) and covered a 2-tiered cake in black SI but by the time it was finished and ready to be picked up...there were Cracks on the sides!!!

I have another cake for tomorrow I need to cover (2-tier) in blue SI and I am paranoid it will crack too.

My thought is to make MMF and mix in enough blue SI until it is almost the same blue.

I only use SI when I need black, red or blue and I do like it for figurines but covering a cake UGH!!!! icon_cry.gif

I will take any suggestions...

Thanks

11 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:10am
post #2 of 12

well i was gonna say shortening.. but yu say you already tried that? maybe more? hmmm.. are you rolling to thin maybe?

vigan-t Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vigan-t Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:20am
post #3 of 12

I would say it's more likely too thick than too thin. If SI is too thick the weight of it can pull itself apart. Also make sure that the SI is kneaded really well before rolling it. To fix small cracks you can try take a small piece of satin ice put it over the crack and gently smooth it in a circular motion with your finger. this will only work however when the icing has not dried out.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 12

Are you using corn starch or powdered sugar with it? Satin Ice if very sticky and pliable when it is fresh and should not crack unless you are rolling it out with CS or PS?

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 12

I say switch to Fondarific, so much easier to work with compared to Satin Ice....

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 12

Jack031 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I say switch to Fondarific, so much easier to work with compared to Satin Ice....

How does it taste?

I have never had the cracking with Satin Ice because it's always soooooooo soft and sticky...any suggestions for getting it to be more workable without the soft stickiness?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 12

I had the same problem with black SI this past weekend when I did a cake. Did all of the stuff that everyone on CC recommends, kneaded it more than enough, added glycerin, rolled on greased surface, and on and on and on. And what do I get elephant skin and small cracks!!!! I don't think I will ever do a cake covered in black again. It was the top tier, the middle tier was red SI and that was fine, the bottom tier was my old standby.

Is there any other fondant that you can puy that comes in black?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 12

Sugarshack had the same problem with Satin Ice on Ultimate Cake-Off last night - send her a quick pm for her recommendations!

lreyna25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lreyna25 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 12

Ok...so I added even more shortening to the SI and rolled it out thinner than I usually do (with the blue) and made sure that the top layer did not rest AT ALL on the bottom tier and MIRACLE...no cracks! icon_biggrin.gif

I rolled it thinner than I ever would have for MMF and put for a 2lb container of SI probably a 1/4 cup of crisco....and I did roll it out with cornstarch...

I guess practice makes perfect (unfortunately at the expense of the SI product)...

Thanks for the help

PS Its nice to know the experts have problems too...luv the ultimate cake-off!

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 12

so is the recommendation to roll out the SI fondant with cornstarch rather than powdered sugar? And how thin should it be rolled...I have those colored gages that Wilton's makes for their large white rolling pin...which one of those would be good thickness?

I have another question...what type of rolling pin works best?

Sorry I have so many questions...I am really trying to learn as much as I can...I appreciate the help! icon_redface.gif

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 12

The taste of Fondarific is much better compared to Satin Ice, when I did cakes with Satin Ice no one ate the fondant because they all complained about taste. When I started using Fondarific everyone ate the fondant and love how it tastes. Thus, I am not wasting my money now!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack031

The taste of Fondarific is much better compared to , when I did cakes with no one ate the fondant because they all complained about taste. When I started using Fondarific everyone ate the fondant and love how it tastes. Thus, I am not wasting my money now!

I have had really good luck with fondarific also. And it comes in alot of interesting flavors and colors. I keep both on hand though. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%