Gum Paste Hand

Decorating By audreygb Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 4:57am by cakesrock

audreygb Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 10

please please please doe anyone have any suggestions as to how i could make a 3d hand from gumpaste

9 replies
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 10

Audrey, I am going through this right now! I found videos on youtube for doing it with clay. I basically have traced my hand on fesh colored fondant with pallette knife, cut it out and shaped it. HTH.

audreygb Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:56am
post #3 of 10

ok i will give it a go...............please post a pic of yours when you are done!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:26am
post #4 of 10

You could try filling a latex/plastic glove with fondant/GP, then cutting off the glove carefully and then shaping the hand to get it looking realistically like a hand ??? Just thinking aloud here icon_smile.gif

silver39 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

I want to make gum paste heads and arms for a slumber party cake. This is my first time ever doing this, any suggestions for me? Or places videos to watch? OR any slumber party cake help would be appreciated!!

Ren715 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:18am
post #6 of 10

Hi,

Way back in 2002 I bought a great mold of a severed human hand for Halloween. I made the mold with peach flavored jello but I'm sure you could mold it with gumpaste. It was so real looking that no one at the party could eat it.

I've attached a picture of the hand I made.

Here's the website where you can purchase the mold
http://www.yankeehalloween.com/qwiggle/hand-lg.html
LL

audreygb Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 10

hey Ren715 thanks for that I have seen a mould like this on line. If I made if from gelatin how sturdy do you think it would be, I want to wrap it round a tin, with a finger on the areosol so it looks like it's about to press the areosl. Or do you think I should just fill the mould with gum paste and peel if off after?????????help!!!!

Ren715 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 10

It's basically jello so it's not sturdy at all and will melt if kept out too long because that's what jello does. I would use it as a mold for gumpaste. For Halloween however, make it as jello for a party and put it on a plate. It's very real looking. Directions come with the mold. I also have the brain and eyeball molds. They're always a big hit visually...and delecious to eat!

Ren715 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 10

It's basically jello so it's not sturdy at all and will melt if kept out too long because that's what jello does. I would use it as a mold for gumpaste. For Halloween however, make it as jello for a party and put it on a plate. It's very real looking. Directions come with the mold. I also have the brain and eyeball molds. They're always a big hit visually...and delecious to eat!

cakesrock Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreygb

hey Ren715 thanks for that I have seen a mould like this on line. If I made if from gelatin how sturdy do you think it would be, I want to wrap it round a tin, with a finger on the areosol so it looks like it's about to press the areosl. Or do you think I should just fill the mould with gum paste and peel if off after?????????help!!!!

I would not use all gumpaste. I would do a 50/50 with fondant - it's easier to work with. In fact, I would used fondant with tylose or gumtex because it's easier to mix and you're less likely to get cracking. I would grease the inside of the mold or glove with crisco and fill it with fondant/gumtex. Let it sit for 8-12 hours or so, until it sets. It would probably come off much easier that way. Then you could wrap it around your tin and manipulate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%