Shiny Fondant

Decorating By kimco Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm by Jenny0730

kimco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimco Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 6

will steam make the fondant gummy and sticky? will stuff stick to it like dirt ? will it stay shiny after drying

5 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:43am
post #2 of 6

oh man.. i cant find the thread.. but this was answered the other day. and from what i remember.. yes it can be steamed. it will dry and it will stay shiny. HTH.

monbebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySassyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySassyCakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:58am
post #4 of 6

Steaming it will help, but I've also noticed that if I use Crisco while rolling it out (instead of cornstarch or powdered sugar) it will add a little shine as well.

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 6

The Cake Boss uses a garment steamer on alot of his cakes to make the fondant shiny. They seem to 'glow'.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 6

I just started making cakes and we have a cake that has been around long enough that it is time for it to go. (I have four people in my house and we are throwing away chocolate cake!) AMAZING! Anyway, before I throw it out I wanted to see what would happen if I used my garment steamer on the fondant. It really does shine right up. You wouldn't want to touch it right away but it dries back up and keeps the shine. I've let it sit for a couple of days to see what it would look like and it still has some shine to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%