Refrigerating Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By pattigunter Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm by costumeczar

pattigunter Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

I know this has been asked before but a search didnt bring up what I was looking for. My daughter wants a cream cheese filling and icing on her birthday cake. I have some elaborate decorations planned and I dont know how long it will take me - I dont think I'll have time tomorrow to decorate before I bring it to her party. My question is, can I fill and decorate this cake tonight and leave it in a cool room? I'm afraid refrigerating the fully decorated cake will mess up the decorations. Besides the fact that I dont have room in my fridge to stand a 3 tier cake!

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 6

If it has cream cheese in it it should be refrigerated, sorry!

AKS Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 6

I think you should be fine for the icing, and if the filling is the same, the filling too. The amount of powdered sugar preserves the cream cheese for a little while. I made a banana cake w/ cream cheese icing a couple of weeks ago and had it out all day/overnight/all day and it was finished later that night and it was delicious and we're all still alive-lol!

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 6

The idea that sugar is going to keep everything from going bad is so overused...I suggest that anyone who wants to find out about perishability go to the USDA website and read up on food storage issues. Cream cheese is a perishable dairy item, and needs to be refrigerated.

If I went to a resaturant and they offered me a cake with cream cheese icing that has been sitting out all night there's no way I'd eat it. And if they offered it to the health inspector they'd be written up with a violation for improper food storage.

pattigunter Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 6

Just an update. I finished the cake at about 11:30 last night and put the whole 2tier cake in the fridge, decorations and all. I just couldnt risk someone getting sick. I worried about it and didnt sleep well but all seems to be fine this morning. The party is at 2:30 so I took it out at about 10 this morning and am being careful not to touch it. It looks fine - no condensation so far.

costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

You did the right thing as far as food safety goes...I hope your party goes well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%