So Many Little Time

Decorating By dgrzelak Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 12:36am by tavyheather

dgrzelak Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hi CC! I am in the market for a new oven. I purchased my house new and got a bottom basement builder special piece of kaka oven. It's horribly uneven - cakes only cook at the back and right side. I have electric appliances (but could go gas if needed) and wondered if any members would recommend a true convection oven for cake baking. My fear is that the air movement in a convection oven will dry out foods. Any help is appreciated!

3 replies
peg818 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 4

I bake in convection, I find that the home oven doesn't push the air as strongly as the commercial ovens we have at work. I find my home oven much easier to bake in then the commercial. That being said, find yourself an oven with the option to turn off the fan completely if you are leary about it, then if you decide you don't like to bake with the convection you would have the option of turning it off.

I have a GE profile slide in range, electric with convection. With the option to standard bake. I have never used the standard bake feature, although my husband does.

Lorieann55 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 4

I have a GE Monogram 48" Range that has an "on demand" convection fan. Only use it when you want to. I gave up a small base cabinet to put this size range in. I can get my 18"x26" sheet pans in there icon_biggrin.gif

If you're worried about drying things out could you put a small pan of water in there for moisture? I've never felt the need to try this.

tavyheather Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4

thanks for asking this! I was wondering the same thing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%