My Gray Turned Green!!!

Decorating By Jenn1978 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm by whisperingmadcow

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

So i made a cake last week and needed black and gray, I made the black first and got rid of most of it and added lots of white frosting and my gray ended up turning dark green...any ideas as to why? can the color go bad after time? Ive never had that happen before. I even tried to start all over but no matter what i did it turned green....any suggestions?

4 replies
ginny33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginny33 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #2 of 5

i've had black turn green a lot, until I got the americolor black and never had any problems since!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:23am
post #3 of 5

easy answer, black icing is actually made from concentrated green icing, very concentrated. if you put black (wilton) icing in water. it will turn green. Americolor doesnt fade or turn (atleast it hasnt yet. fingers crossed it never does!!)

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 5

thanks! its def a wilton color, just weird that I've never had that problem before. Guess I'll invest in some americolor!

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 5

I had that happen to me. I wanted black for a cake, but no matter how much gel I put in, it never got to black, just this ugly throw up green. I was making lemon icing at the time and the acid in the flavoring I was using had a reaction with the color. It was wilton I was using and like so many others, I have switched to americolor as well. I am trying to get thought all my wilton colors so I can just use the one brand now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%