Cake Batter Sitting Out

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm by DetailsByDawn

kerri729 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 2

I know that this has been asked a million times in the years that I have been on here, but how long can cake batter sit out? I use the enhance formula from here (w/butter, SC, etc), and have some extra chocolate here that I want to use on my next tier. I have let it sit out for a hour or so before, but this might need to sit for a couple....or can I refrigerate?

1 reply
DetailsByDawn Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 2

I know this is too late for you now, but for future.... I did a lot of research on this when I first started making cakes. The best advice I found was to refrigerate all waiting batter. Even if you're making cupcakes and only have one pan - put the rest of the batch into the fridge while waiting for the pan to be free. It makes little difference to the taste and texture, but makes me feel much more secure about the age of my eggs and other perishables. "They" say that for every hour your eggs sit at room temp, you lose approx 1 day of freshness. Leaving your eggs at room temp for at least 1/2 hour before baking plus the addition of other room temp ingredients speeds this up. In the end, it is probably a non-issue, but I always err on the side of caution. It makes me feel better. Hope the cake turned out awsome! I'm sure it did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%